bingo cool)

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Re: NHL Trivia

Post by shabbs on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:10 am

Who was the first NHL goaltender credited with scoring a goal?

EDIT: And that was by 4000th post! Sweet.

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:58 am

shabbs wrote:Who was the first NHL goaltender credited with scoring a goal?

Billy Smith
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48710
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:59 am

shabbs wrote:Who was the first NHL goaltender credited with scoring a goal?

Congratulations! Although you're still only a Montagoose. We really need to change that. Tell you what, I'll call you "Mister" anyway, OK?

As for the answer to the trivia question, I wanted to say Hextall and Smith. Didn't Smith get one for touching the puck last? And Hextall was the first to actually shoot a puck in the net?

Checking Wikipedia:
    Two goalies have "scored" a goal while getting a shootot -- Rhodes was credited with a goal playing for the Sens in a 6-0 game against the Devils; and Theodore shot the puck in the net as the Habs beat the Isles 3-0. I'm guessing Josee got the 1st star that night.

Billy Smith is the only goalie credited with a goal in a losing cause.

Hextall and Brodeur have "scored" both in the regular season and in the playoffs. Hextall scored the only goal while his team was playing short-handed. I'm guessing most of the time the goalie is credited with a goal when the opposition scores on its own net either during a delayed panalty -- not officially short-handed -- or when the goalie is pulled in the final minute(s).

Brodeur is the only goalie to be credited with a game winning goal.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:01 am

wprager wrote:Congratulations! Although you're still only a Montagoose. We really need to change that. Tell you what, I'll call you "Mister" anyway, OK?
    Fine by me. Heh heh.

wprager wrote:As for the answer to the trivia question, I wanted to say Hextall and Smith. Didn't Smith get one for touching the puck last? And Hextall was the first to actually shoot a puck in the net?

Checking Wikipedia:
    Two goalies have "scored" a goal while getting a shootot -- Rhodes was credited with a goal playing for the Sens in a 6-0 game against the Devils; and Theodore shot the puck in the net as the Habs beat the Isles 3-0. I'm guessing Josee got the 1st star that night.

Hextall and Brodeur have "scored" both in the regular season and in the playoffs. Hextall scored the only goal while his team was playing short-handed. I'm guessing most of the time the goalie is credited with a goal when the opposition scores on its own net either during a delayed panalty -- not officially short-handed -- or when the goalie is pulled in the final minute(s).

The answer: On November 28, 1979, Billy Smith became the first goaltender in NHL history to be credited with a goal.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:30 am

shabbs wrote:
    wprager wrote:Congratulations! Although you're still only a Montagoose. We really need to change that. Tell you what, I'll call you "Mister" anyway, OK?
    Fine by me. Heh heh.

wprager wrote:As for the answer to the trivia question, I wanted to say Hextall and Smith. Didn't Smith get one for touching the puck last? And Hextall was the first to actually shoot a puck in the net?

Checking Wikipedia:

The answer: On November 28, 1979, Billy Smith became the first goaltender in NHL history to be credited with a goal.

Yippie or me!

Of course after I read the Wikipedia topic I had already confirmed it.

You know, as much as I hated Smith and Hextall for their stick work, I kind of miss the old days. Especially now, with the interference rules called as tightly as they are now, wouldn't it be great if Fleury chopped down some trees to improve his view?
    Tuk Tuk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1413
    Registration date : 2009-06-25

Post by Tuk Tuk on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:50 pm

Q: Why do the Colorado Avalanche have black pants, helmets, and gloves.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:15 pm

Is it because maroon or whatever they call it doesn't go with any other choices?

Tuk Tuk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by Tuk Tuk on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:19 pm

When they were moving, they didn't have time to have custom pants
    and such made up, as both of their colors would have required a custom
    order, so they had to go with a stock color. Those are Black, navy,
    Bright Red, and royal. All except black would have been a complete
    mismatch and look pretty awful, except the royal which would have been
    close, but not quite right.

Same with the black helmets and gloves. In fact, for some games at
    the start they wore the black helmets with the home whites as well as
    the aways, until the NHL decided it was too confusing for the refs and had them buy a set of white helmets.

from an Icethetics comment
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:29 pm

So I was sort-of right. Colors on the brain. I've been doing a bit of painting lately -- "seaspray" for the kitchen, "huntington beige" for the entrance and living room, "cloud white" pretty much everywhere, "butter creme" in the transitional area, we even have an "accent wall" in the family room that is a strikingly different color from the rest of the room.

I'd have been OK with "white" but that's me.

Tuk Tuk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by Tuk Tuk on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:34 pm

This isnt so much trivia, as something Ive been wondering.

Why is it that there's 4 lines of forwards, but only 3 parings of Dmen?
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:03 pm

Better yet, why are there three forwards but only two defensemen? They are outnumbered!

Seriously, though, as anyone who has played in some beer league, right around Thanksgiving or Christmas, when there are a lot of players missing, you know that a shift on defense can be as good as a break. Certainly the defensemen in the NHL don't coast like that, but relative to the forwards, they don't go nearly as full tilt all the time.

Which brings up a question: When did Dany Heatley start playing defense?

Amnesia021
    Rookie
    Rookie

Number of posts : 499
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

Post by Amnesia021 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:13 pm

I think in addition to the d skating less, I think they separate it out like that because of the 20 man roster limit. The Math works better to have 12 forwards and 6 defense men + the 2 goalies (which are mandated I believe). I think its 'safer' to skate the 4th triplet of forwards than it is to skate a fourth pair of defense as quality defense is harder to find.
    Hockeyhero22000
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 4062
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

Post by Hockeyhero22000 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:16 pm

im sorry prags but i have to disagree defense doesnt just coast they have to defened against the constantly hard checking forwards which as you mentioned have on extra man to them plus they are expected to start the play and put the pass on to forwards sticks so they don't have to come al the way back plus they are expected to run the plays make the pp work......... dany heatley is just being a lazy arse

im sorry but it boils me when people imply D just coast when my teams have had their fair share of lazy forwards....its like when a loss automatically gets blamed on goalies

Ive played D my whole life and i never coasted actually in my last year of midget we only had three defense and i only got 3 shifts off a game and almost puked from exhaustion at the end ....thats why i say D doesnt coast
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:03 pm

I'm not saying D coasts (beer league and NHL are not even the same sport). However you have top defensemen typically playing 25-30 minutes a night, while a top forward (with PP and PK time in addition to first line minutes) will get maybe 25. Obviously since there are just 3 pairings versus 4 lines it cannot be equal, I just don't think that a top forward (except Ovechkin -- he's a Cylon) could play 30 minutes average over a season, whileit's fairly common with defensemen.

So, sorry if it came across as me saying that D coast. Not the case, I'm very well aware of that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:38 am