[ 9 ]
    31% [31%] 

Total Votes: 29

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24783
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Re: Do You Think Alfie WILL (Not "Should") be Inducted into The Hockey Hall of Fame

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:11 am

I voted yes on the basis of the reasons that he "should" get in which are not up for discussion here. My starting point is the Calder Trophy then you can add other justifications beyond that.

Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13619
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: Do You Think Alfie WILL (Not "Should") be Inducted into The Hockey Hall of Fame

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:11 am

Absolutely Spez but do you think that factors in when your up for nomination as a player and not as an executive? Do you think he does enough in Management to be inducted in a different category? That would be a bit of a stretch IMO.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54585

Post by PTFlea on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:13 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Absolutely Spez but do you think that factors in when your up for nomination as a player and not as an executive? Do you think he does enough in Management to be inducted in a different category? That would be a bit of a stretch IMO.

Oh, is that how it works? If he won Cups as GM let's say, he'd go in as a builder and the player part is pushed aside? I guess that makes sense.
    dennycrane
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2121
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-17

Post by dennycrane on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:21 am

I don't think he will. I believe the Sens are viewed as an underachieving franchise league-wide, for which he is the face.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:40 am

dennycrane wrote:I don't think he will. I believe the Sens are viewed as an underachieving franchise league-wide, for which he is the face.

You could be right on that. He did become the first European Captain to lead his team to the Cup Finals. He's also a top Swedish player and is mentioned amongst players like Forseberg and Sundin so that could factor in.

- Unknown Author
    dennycrane
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2121
    Registration date : 2008-08-17

Post by dennycrane on Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:16 pm

It may come down to voters finally recognizing that it is the HOCKEY Hall of Fame as opposed to the NHL Hall of Fame. I think the HOF is slowly starting to evolve into what it should be - more than just the NHL.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:29 pm

I think he should be inducted (my Sens bias coming through), but I don't think he will be due to the lack of success of the Senators club in general (and I mean no Stanley Cup). We're not winning a Cup anytime soon, and so that window has gone for Alfie and the Sens.

Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by Riprock on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:05 pm

He still is the first European captain to take his team to the finals, isn't he?

And he's also the longest reigning NHL captain, isn't he?
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:07 pm

Dash wrote:He still is the first European captain to take his team to the finals, isn't he?

And he's also the longest reigning NHL captain, isn't he?

Unless you talk to Liam MacGuire who seems to think some other Euro captained his team to the Finals but, officially yes he still is. Pretty sure they can't take it away from him at this point. Wink

- Unknown Author
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by Riprock on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:09 pm

If Sundin gets in, then surely Alfie should, right? Or Lindros? Neither of whom won a cup.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:10 pm

Dash wrote:If Sundin gets in, then surely Alfie should, right? Or Lindros? Neither of whom won a cup.

I agree. Not winning a Cup doesn't keep you out it just may take him longer.

- Unknown Author
    stempniaksen
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1960
    Registration date : 2009-09-14

Post by stempniaksen on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:52 pm

Dash wrote:If Sundin gets in, then surely Alfie should, right? Or Lindros? Neither of whom won a cup.

Those 2 guys are pretty awful comparisons for Alfie to be honest.

Sundin put up more points then Alfie will even get a chance at sniffing, and is a ton more decorated individually.

Lindros is a guy who put up amazing numbers and individual awrd but had his career cut short (Cam Neely/Pavel Bure-esque)
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:05 pm

stempniaksen wrote:Sundin put up more points then Alfie will even get a chance at sniffing, and is a ton more decorated individually.
    Sad but true...

NHL-only stats for those guys:
    Sundin: 1346 game, 564 goals, 785 assists, 1349 points - 1.0022 ppg
    Alfredsson: 1034 games, 384 goals, 627 assists, 1011 points - 0.9777 ppg

Does Alfie have 300+ more games in him?
    stempniaksen
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1960
    Registration date : 2009-09-14

Post by stempniaksen on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:10 pm

shabbs wrote:
    stempniaksen wrote:Sundin put up more points then Alfie will even get a chance at sniffing, and is a ton more decorated individually.
    Sad but true...

NHL-only stats for those guys:
    Sundin: 1346 game, 564 goals, 785 assists, 1349 points - 1.0022 ppg
    Alfredsson: 1034 games, 384 goals, 627 assists, 1011 points - 0.9777 ppg

Does Alfie have 300+ more games in him?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no. And even if he does can he keep a PPG pace over those 300 games? Definitely not.
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 5050
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

Post by SensGirl11 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:32 pm

Unfortunately, if we don't win a Cup before he's retired he probably won't be inducted, but if we win one when he's still part of the organization (even if it's President or something else) that he will be inducted. It's really hard to say, he's already done a lot in his career, but I think winning a Cup is necessary in order to be inducted. I could be totally wrong though...
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 5050
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

Post by SensGirl11 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:35 pm

He also won a Gold medal with Sweden, so that could help get him in, maybe.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54585

Post by PTFlea on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:42 pm

Don't worry, he'll be our Teemu Selanne.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20939
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:59 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:Don't worry, he'll be our Teemu Selanne.

and that means what, exactly?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:55 pm