You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » Metropolitan » Carolina Hurricanes » The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Hurricanes Style

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Hurricanes Style

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
The Carolina Hurricanes

The Good:
Jim Rutherford noticed something last year, but he didn't really say much about it. He had an amazingly slow, non-offensive defense. Sure he had Seidenberg, Gleason, Kaberle, but those guys aren't going to be relied on to deliver much in the way of offense. He had Mike Commodore though - and although he'd been very good for the Canes, Rutherford knew there was really no chance he was going to be able to retain him. So he thought about it - apparently for months - before finally agreeing on a trade with the Ottawa Senators for Joe Corvo and Patrick Eaves. Corvo has infused the Canes with a dangerous, speedy D-man, who can score, and move the puck up the ice. More importantly, he's locked in at just over 2.5 million per year. Then he decided that wasn't good enough in the summer and he acquired Pitkanen from Edmonton for fan favourite Erik Cole.

All of a sudden, instead of Kaberle leading your offensive, you have two hammers on the back end. Both of whom can move the puck - and both of whom love to shoot. Going into last night's game, they had a combined 90 shots. That's more than some team's entire D.

The Bad:
The bad was good at one point. On September 11th of this year (ahhhh!), Rutherford signed Eric Staal to a 7 year, 56 million + contract. From then on Staal has looked bewildered. He has 10 points in 19 games, hardly a sign to panic, but this was a kid that everyone thought had already taken his step back and was now ready to take his step forward into the 100 point range. Instead, he looks like he's frustrated, not having fun and perhaps as a result of that, is not competing hard enough. With that much money tied up in what's supposed to be the face of your franchise, this is both dangerous and anxious for Rutherford and coach Peter Laviolette.

Cam Ward could go into any of these three categories. Some nights he's been good, some bad...well you get it. He's not going to intimidate any teams, let's leave it at that.

The Ugly:
Corvo worked, Pitkanen will help, but re-signing Sergei Samsonov to a three year, 7.5 million dollar contract doesn't look like the brightest move right now.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran
The Samsonov signing has me scratching my head.

Corvo has been great for them.

Hayden

Hayden
Rookie
Rookie
doesn't corvo only have 7 pts this year?

Corvo has been great against the Sens, thats it.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Oh really? That makes me feel a little better. Still Montreal was intimidated by his speed - and he's got a sick shot.

But yes, suck Corvo! SUCK!

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not sure about that, but from all I've heard from 'Canes fans he's playing well.

He brings a totally different aspect to their blueline.

Seven points for a $2.5M D-man isn't terrible if he's making chances out there.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran
504Heater wrote:Oh really? That makes me feel a little better. Still Montreal was intimidated by his speed - and he's got a sick shot.

But yes, suck Corvo! SUCK!

A sick shot that NEVER gets on net.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran
Neely4Life wrote:Corvo has been great against the Sens, thats it.

I disagree. He's not going to be getting any Norris nominations, but I've heard nothing but good things about his performance. Having only seen the Sens game personally, I can't really comment, but all indications are that he's playing much better since leaving Ottawa.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum