GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » All things PLAYOFFS! » All Playoff talk all the time.

All Playoff talk all the time.

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Go down  Message [Page 33 of 35]

481All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 33 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:21 am

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star
A long time Hawks fan sent this to me on facebook:

A message to Chicago bandwagon fans Laughing3

482All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 33 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:28 am

wprager wrote:
N4L wrote:Pronger is a durt bag and he got called out on it. Burrish's wont exactly be bible nor should it, but the truth is the truth. Ask around the league and players would say "well, Burrish is an idiot but he's right".

Some quotes from/about Pronger:

“In the ’70s when (Flyers GM Paul Holmgren) was playing, you could do whatever you wanted – on and off the ice,” Pronger said. “When I came into the league, you could pretty much do whatever you wanted on the ice, but you had to watch yourself off the ice. Now, you can’t do anything on the ice or off the ice.”

Quite insightful of him.

Pronger also talked about how society has changed in his time in the public spotlight.

“Do you ever see the media write about the times players visit hospitals or do charity work that the team doesn’t even know about?” he said. “No, those type of stories aren’t what the media are interested in.

“The connotations are always negative now. Society has developed this negative bias to everything – within the media, within social culture – whereas 15, 20 years ago, people wanted to believe the best. They wanted to believe in someone’s character and give them the benefit of the doubt. Now you have to earn it.

“That’s today’s culture and society. You have to live in it, but that doesn’t mean you have to like it.”

Evidence of this on this board *all* the time.

You know, I still don't like him, but I've gotta admit, this has softened my opinion of the guy.

Good post.

As much of a bluster as Pronger is, he's right...

483All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 33 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:37 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Hoags wrote:A long time Hawks fan sent this to me on facebook:

A message to Chicago bandwagon fans Laughing3

Hilarious. Really well made too.

484All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 33 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:12 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Love the lyrics to that song. Very funny and very clever.

485All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 33 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:47 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
It was great, really neat. I can see that being popular for a long time in Chi-town.

486All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 33 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:53 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
That was awesome! Shout out to Kanata...I'm sure chicago will forget who won the stanley cup when the cubs or sox make some headlines.

487All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 33 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:16 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Michallica wrote:That was awesome! Shout out to Kanata...I'm sure chicago will forget who won the stanley cup when the cubs or sox make some headlines.

Seriously doubt that. The numbers for game 6 were unbelievable. Something like a 46 share in the Chicago area. That means that 46% of the TVs that were on were tuned in to NBC.

http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/200104911/m/225104103

Prime-Time Metered Market Wednesday Ratings:
Fox Dances to Overnight Victory; NHL Ignited NBC on the Map

Wednesday 6/09/10

HH
Rtg/Shr
Fox 5.8/ 9
NBC 5.5/ 9
CBS 5.0/ 8
ABC 2.9/ 5
CW 1.0/ 2

----------

-Percent Change From the Year-Ago Evening (Wednesday, June 10, 2009):
NBC: +34, CW: +12, Fox: + 9, CBS: - 4, ABC: -36

----------

-Yesterday’s Winners:
So You Think You Can Dance (Fox), The Stanley Cup Finals, Game 6 (NBC), Criminal Minds R (CBS), CSI: NY R (CBS)

Game 6 finished 2nd on the night behind SYTYCD. A 5.5/9 is very good numbers, and they were even higher in specific time-slots, and in specific markets.

The Stanley Cup Finals (NBC)
8:00 p.m.: 4.3/ 8 (#2)
8:30 p.m.: 5.0/ 9 (#2)
9:00 p.m.: 5.2/ 9 (#2)
9:30 p.m.: 5.4/ 9 (#2)
10:00 p.m.: 6.4/10 (#1)
10:30 p.m.: 6.8/11 (#1)
11:00 p.m. 7.1/13 (#1)

Once 10PM rolled around the game was #1. It was 30% higher than game 6 last year (and let's face it, no-one expected there to be a game 7 last year more than this year).

And for the Chicago-area:
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2378484,blackhawks-tv-ratings-061010.article

At 10 p.m., when game six went into overtime and the Hawks were poised to possibly clinch the series, the rating on WMAQ peaked at an even more astounding 46.0 rating (1.61 million households).

Here's how it did in other markets:
http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/2010/06/10/the-press-release-confirms-it-highest-rated-nhl-game-since-1974/

TOP 10 MARKETS

1. Chicago 32.8/50
2. Philadelphia 26.8/38
3. Buffalo 13.5/20
4. Pittsburgh 9.7/14
T5. Detroit 6.3/10
T5. Indianapolis 6.3/10
7. Fort Myers 6.1/10
8. Minneapolis 5.9/11
9. Las Vegas 5.7/9
10. Boston 5.1/9

One in 5 TVs in Buffalo were watching home-town-boy Patrick Kane score the winner.

488All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 33 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:21 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
...u win. Fine they won't forget, but I mean more in terms of them still playing back-up fiddle to Sox, Cubs, and Bulls. Watch out if the Bulls get Lebron. Fans will still be there, but it'll still be the case of being secondary to the rest.

489All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 33 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:25 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
"where is that? In the minors?"
- Chris Pronger's response to Burrish's comments about punching him.

490All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 33 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:17 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Dash wrote:"where is that? In the minors?"
- Chris Pronger's response to Burrish's comments about punching him.

Hmmm....not quite as clever as I had hoped.

491All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 33 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:18 pm

"Clorafill? More like BORAFILL"

492All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 33 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:34 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 33 0610-joel-quennville-ex-getty-tmz

Which is harder ? Coaching an NHL team to the Stanley Cup or cleaning up this mess ?

All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 33 500x_ept_sports_nhl_experts-53583235-1276230163

Can you tell the Blackhawks are a young team ? All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 33 62136

493All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 33 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:41 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Poor Quenneville... why the hell did they do that? Philly fans in Chicago? Or overzealous fans?

494All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 33 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:56 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Michallica wrote:...u win. Fine they won't forget, but I mean more in terms of them still playing back-up fiddle to Sox, Cubs, and Bulls. Watch out if the Bulls get Lebron. Fans will still be there, but it'll still be the case of being secondary to the rest.

Well, of course. But if "Da Bulls" suck the Hawks will remain in the limelight.

495All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 33 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. on Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:21 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
N4L wrote:"Clorafill? More like BORAFILL"

You want some milk, Sideburns?

496All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 33 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:07 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Laughing3

I can't believe the sign in the locker room, that is Diddling hilarious. So childish, but so amusing in this case. That's great.

497All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 33 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:18 pm

asq2 wrote:I agree somewhat, but how do you know if a prospect is going to be a certain calibre? Look at Kyle Turris or, worse yet, Lauri Tukonen. There's amount of luck and leaps of faith necessary to build a Cup-Winner IMO. If it was easily reducible to formula, I wouldn't be following the NHL.

Philly got lucky that the Bruins lost Krejci after going up 3-0 and were incredibly fortunate to find Leino on waivers. The 'Hawks were fortunate to win Game 6 of the Nashville series, though I suppose they'd probably have won Game 7 anyway. More importantly, they're lucky they have Toews right now and not Jordan Staal (though it's possible they'd have taken Backstrom).

The Sens were supposed to win in 2002-2003 and 2005-2006 but actually got closest after they lost Hasek, Chara and Havlat in one off-season. That's not to say I'm advocating we try the "dump talent" tactic again.

Anyway, I think there are some pretty serious pieces here and it's hard to deny that Murray's work in the 2008 and 2009 drafts have totally redefined the future of the franchise. I'm excited about the potential of Karlsson, Cowen and Wiercioch because I've seen teams like Chicago (Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Hjalmarsson), Philly (Pronger, Timonen, Coburn, Carle), Detroit (Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart) and Anaheim (Niedermayer, Pronger, Beauchemin, O'Donnell) rely heavily on their top-4 D to deliver them success.

I think we'll be OK. Though I must say that having watched young captains like Toews and Richards lead their teams to the Finals, I'm starting to hope pretty heavily that we land a guy like Skinner, if not Gudbranson.

Leino was traded from Detroit, for a 5th (or some other late pick) I believe. Still, a fortunate turn of events for Holgrem and the Flyers. Holland definitely looks bad on that one, but then again, Leino wasn't getting quality minutes in Detroit so no one can really say he totally blew it.

498All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 33 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:37 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Traded for Toleffsen

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 33 of 35]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum