GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Breaking Rumours!! » Draft day speculation » Malkin possibly on the move?

Malkin possibly on the move?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 9]

61Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 5 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? on Thu May 20, 2010 6:47 pm

stempniaksen


Veteran
Veteran
Dash wrote:Right now there are plenty of defenceman I would rather have than Chara based on age, salary and all that.

Agreed. I think based on play alone there are a handful of guys who I would rather have. That's sad to say since he used to be one of my favourite players.

62Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 5 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? on Thu May 20, 2010 7:00 pm

Guest


Guest
stempniaksen wrote:
Big Ev wrote:But Malkin isn't a soft player, he takes hits and dishes them out from time to time. He's also a player who elevates his game when he takes a big hit from an opposing player. He'll go into the dirty areas.

Chara's a great defencman and all, but he is not a winner.

Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner (and as usual it's not Chara).

N4L, I'd like to see you defend Chara for the exact same reasons you vilify Spezza.

Listen, chara is a spectacular defenceman. But when taking into account their ages along with how many times they've won on the biggest stage, and the way they performed once they reach that stage I take Malkin every time.

The guy is a top 3 Russian player, and is a top 5 player in the world no questions asked. His regular season dominance and strong playoffs prove that.

Malkin has had one good playoff and Ill admit, it was a great playoff, he did afterall win The Conn Smyth, that said though, I still dont think that is a guy a team should be built around, I dont like how he plays the game at times because of what I said, and I think he has next to no leadership qualities.

As for Chara, the guy might not be a winner but every team he goes to improves large amounts. Chara is still a captain in The NHL and plays a hard, in your face, physical game and like I said, could be the best D man in the game. I would never choose Malkin over Chara, ever.

63Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 5 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? on Thu May 20, 2010 7:04 pm

Guest


Guest
stempniaksen wrote:I honestly think Chara is becoming the Thornton-lite of defenceman.

This guy has never been to a cup final, and has never even won a game seven in his life.

Fantastic regular season performer who i would love to have back on the Sens (granted not at that salary). But the guy seems to choke when it matters most (which is the farthest thing I would have pegged him as only a few short years ago).

Still makes every team he plays on better and more competitive.

Biggest mistake in Sens history was letting him go and I would be if they made the right choice Ottawa would have a cup in 07 and so would Chara. If and but's were candy and nuts though, kind of pointless convo.

Anyways, that's how I would build my team and I wouldnt ever want Malkin before Chara. I dont think Malkin has the ability to actually be the center piece of a franchise.

64Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 5 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? on Thu May 20, 2010 7:06 pm

Guest


Guest
Dash wrote:Right now there are plenty of defenceman I would rather have than Chara based on age, salary and all that.

Weber, Keith, Doughty, maybe Pronger... stops there though.

65Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 5 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? on Thu May 20, 2010 7:20 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
It's known that Malkin plays his best hockey when he is THE guy, when he is the main point of attraction. He was ridiculous when Crosby was hurt in 08 (36 points in 21 games), and he was great in the playoffs last year when Crosby was playing only decent hockey. You must not watch a lot of Malkin to think that he can't be a main piece of a franchise.

66Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 5 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? on Thu May 20, 2010 7:27 pm

Guest


Guest
Big Ev wrote:It's known that Malkin plays his best hockey when he is THE guy, when he is the main point of attraction. He was ridiculous when Crosby was hurt in 08 (36 points in 21 games), and he was great in the playoffs last year when Crosby was playing only decent hockey. You must not watch a lot of Malkin to think that he can't be a main piece of a franchise.

No it's not, there was one stretch of games that you mentioned, he hasnt shown he can be the go to guy and a player that can be leaned on to carry a team on and off the ice.

I watch a ton of Malkin and I dont think he is that franchise guy people claim he is. If there was ever a player who was in a better position coming into the league as the number 2 pick, I dont know who it was... well I actually do and it leads back to Spezza.

IMO, Malkin cant be the center piece of a franchise, he doesnt have the character or work ethic to be. The guy quits and doesnt even show up on a lot of nights. Toews, Crosby, M.Richards, Getzlaf, Datsyuk, all of whom I would rather have up the middle. Those are guys you can build your team around. There is way more to hockey then just scoring goals and showing up on the game sheet, you dont seem to get that.

67Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 5 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? on Thu May 20, 2010 7:46 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
N4L wrote:
Big Ev wrote:It's known that Malkin plays his best hockey when he is THE guy, when he is the main point of attraction. He was ridiculous when Crosby was hurt in 08 (36 points in 21 games), and he was great in the playoffs last year when Crosby was playing only decent hockey. You must not watch a lot of Malkin to think that he can't be a main piece of a franchise.

No it's not, there was one stretch of games that you mentioned, he hasnt shown he can be the go to guy and a player that can be leaned on to carry a team on and off the ice.

I watch a ton of Malkin and I dont think he is that franchise guy people claim he is. If there was ever a player who was in a better position coming into the league as the number 2 pick, I dont know who it was... well I actually do and it leads back to Spezza.

IMO, Malkin cant be the center piece of a franchise, he doesnt have the character or work ethic to be. The guy quits and doesnt even show up on a lot of nights. Toews, Crosby, M.Richards, Getzlaf, Datsyuk, all of whom I would rather have up the middle. Those are guys you can build your team around. There is way more to hockey then just scoring goals and showing up on the game sheet, you dont seem to get that.

Malkin has a Conn Smyth and a Cup ring. Two things you covet quite highly when describing whether or not a player can be a leader and go to guy.


_________________
"A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

- Unknown Author

68Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 5 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? on Thu May 20, 2010 7:55 pm

Guest


Guest
Yes I do and I think there is very little doubt who is the leader on that team. I think Malkin is more of the complimetry player that can go on tears like he does.

This is just my opinion but I do not think he has the ability to be the center piece of a team. The guys I mentioned before defently do.

Malking is a franchise tallent, I dont think he is a franchise player.

69Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 5 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? on Thu May 20, 2010 7:58 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
N4L wrote:Yes I do and I think there is very little doubt who is the leader on that team. I think Malkin is more of the complimetry player that can go on tears like he does.

This is just my opinion but I do not think he has the ability to be the center piece of a team. The guys I mentioned before defently do.

Malking is a franchise tallent, I dont think he is a franchise player.

Youre right, he is a King Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 5 54934

70Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 5 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? on Thu May 20, 2010 8:11 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran
Little bit of hypocrisy in your argument Neely, but you are of course entitled to your opinion.

71Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 5 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? on Thu May 20, 2010 8:15 pm

Guest


Guest
I know there is, I see it myself. That being said I dont think Malkin would be the same player away from Crosby.

I mean, I say a winning is all that matters and championships cant be taken away, and that's true, but I just see a ton of things in Malkin's game where I question his heart, desire, and work ethic.

72Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 5 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? on Thu May 20, 2010 8:23 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran
I can somewhat see you're argument. But you and I both know that you can't argue with results.

If Malkin had only won a SC then you're argument might be more valid. But that Conn Smyth is a major reason why people in this thread are behind Malkin. he's proven that he's the type of guy who steps up in big games.

Heck, I've seen people around here be defended just for winning the Conn Smyth, so the fact that Malkin has had individual success apart from that has to count for something.

I'm not saying he's better than Crosby. What I am saying is that he's a heck of a lot more than a complimentary player, and have no doubts that if he ever get's the opportunity he will prove it.

73Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 5 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? on Thu May 20, 2010 8:25 pm

Guest


Guest
stempniaksen wrote:I can somewhat see you're argument. But you and I both know that you can't argue with results.

If Malkin had only won a SC then you're argument might be more valid. But that Conn Smyth is a major reason why people in this thread are behind Malkin. he's proven that he's the type of guy who steps up in big games.

Heck, I've seen people around here be defended just for winning the Conn Smyth, so the fact that Malkin has had individual success apart from that has to count for something.

I'm not saying he's better than Crosby. What I am saying is that he's a heck of a lot more than a complimentary player, and have no doubts that if he ever get's the opportunity he will prove it.

That's where the difference lies, I do.

Like I said, I dont think he has those intangibles to really be the center piece and leader of a franchise. Put it this way, if I were The Oilers I would stay the course if I were offered Malkin for Hall, MPS, plus more. It might make sense to grab Malkin but there would be regrets.

Malkin is a great player I just dont think he is as great as others.

74Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 5 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? on Thu May 20, 2010 8:33 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran
Like I said you have every right to your opinion.

Just that with this specific debate you have absolutely nothing to back up your statements with. Because Malkin has proven time and time again that he can be that guy.

P.S It makes more sense for the Oil to stay the course when it comes to Hall + MPS, but if I'm the Pens I don't take that deal either. Seems to be a lose-lose for both teams.

75Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 5 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? on Thu May 20, 2010 8:37 pm

Guest


Guest
stempniaksen wrote:Like I said you have every right to your opinion.

Just that with this specific debate you have absolutely nothing to back up your statements with. Because Malkin has proven time and time again that he can be that guy.

P.S It makes more sense for the Oil to stay the course when it comes to Hall + MPS, but if I'm the Pens I don't take that deal either. Seems to be a lose-lose for both teams.

I really dont, it's an opinion that very few have. I do however dont believe he has proved it time and time again he can be the go to guy. He did one year where he was unconscience but other then that he has been very good, not really the "lets go boys, I got this" type player. He has shown he might be able to for sure, but I dont think it's been as often as you believe.

EDIT: He does mail it in though and if things dont go his way, he quits.

76Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 5 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? on Thu May 20, 2010 8:42 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran
Has more to do with the fact he has never had to be that guy though.

I wouldn't make this argument. But it can honestly be argued that Malkin has been 'that guy' for the Penguins more often than Crosby has.

He had that awesome stretch when Crosby was hurt, and also had the Conn Smyth performance. If that's more than Crosby or not, it's still more than a handful of other guys on your list.

77Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 5 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? on Thu May 20, 2010 8:48 pm

Guest


Guest
Yeah, I think Malkin is more or less aloud to be given a lot of room at times because of Crosby and last playoff was a perfect example. Malkin never really had a good playoff until last year and teams focuses in on Crosby. Give a guy with Malkin's tallent that much room and he is going to burn you.

He has had 1 great playoff and 3 where he was very ineffective. Tough to argue that.

78Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 5 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? on Thu May 20, 2010 8:54 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran
In those 3 'ineffective' playoffs he averaged a PPG.

I'm not sure what series you were watching, but it surely wasn't the same as the rest of us.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum