I'll give this a whirl, but I lost a nice bet last year vouching for these guys - and now I see a team that's frankly just about the same.
- I like Bozak a lot, this guy is a player, but is he a top line center for Kessel and Versteeg?
- I think Kessel being able to take the full pre-season + summer workouts + being with the team from the beginning will have a positive effect on his game
- Versteeg was an excellent pick up - even if it cost them Stalberg.
- I really like Kulemin, he reminds me a little of a slightly better developed Regin.
- I wasn't really here nor there on the Phaneuf trade, I thought Toronto gave up way too much personally, but I think this is gonna be a heck of a year for Dion. If I was a betting man, I'd say 40+ points and his defensive game improves.
- I like the Leafs tandem in net more than I like the Habs or the Sens in net. Obviously in the NE the Bruins and Sabres kill them, but the name of the game here will be beating teams in the division and conference.
- Beauchemin really doesn't suck - although he tried his best last year - he should rebound well
-I dislike Komisarek as a player - and I HATE his contract for the Leafs (love it as a Sens fan)
-I think the Colby Armstrong signing was a dumb, dumb move. These are the guys you NEED to farm, not pay 3 million for. He's a third liner at best.
- No top line center again? Really? Okay then.
-I dislike Grabovski as a player very, very much. I'm not sure why, but I dislike a lot of the softness, the showboating, I just dislike him. And @ 3 million, there's a lot to dislike. I notcied him give up on a lot of plays last year as well, I'm surprised Wilson didn't kill him...
-...Wilson is a horrible coach. He might have had some success in SJ with a fairly stacked team, but I hate the smug bastard and I dislike his style of coaching and his systems.
- Jeff Finger sucks or if he's okay, he's worth 1.1-1.5 TOPS
- Luke Schenn was rushed and he's being coached by an imbecile = big problems. Hopefully (for Leaf fans) he progresses instead of digressing again.
- Scoring will be an issue - even more so if they trade Kaberle - regardless of who comes back. The top 6 is soft and barely skilled (aside from Kessel, Versteeg, Bozak). They have the makings of one good line and the rest is so unbelievably ho-hum
- Lack of effective puck movers will hinder the Leafs scoring even more.
Final thought (pre-Kaberle trade or no trade): They might think they improved - and they very well might have - but so has everyone else in the East. No deal Mr. Bond, no playoffs for the Leafs. Still a ton of holes to fill and very little money to fill them.