GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » August Question #6: .930 goalie or Sidney Crosby?

August Question #6: .930 goalie or Sidney Crosby?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

August Question #6: .930 goalie or Sidney Crosby?

August Question #6: .930 goalie or Sidney Crosby? - Page 2 Vote_lcap238%August Question #6: .930 goalie or Sidney Crosby? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 38% [ 3 ]
August Question #6: .930 goalie or Sidney Crosby? - Page 2 Vote_lcap262%August Question #6: .930 goalie or Sidney Crosby? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 62% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 8

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Fleury a hack? He was awesome in the Stanley Cup Finals for them and he is a very good athletic goaltender. The Penguins don't win the Cup if John Curry or Mathieu Garon was in nets. Fleury is not in the category of Miller, Luongo, or lundqvist but he is still very talented and his resume is pretty damn good for a guy his age.

As for the question, no doubt it's Sidney Crosby. Buffalo would be a much better team if they had Crosby instead of Miller (with Enroth replacing him in nets). You don't need to have a .930 goaltender to win these days.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Bass Destruction wrote:
What team did Crosby lead to a Cup? Malkin did finish with more points, more GWGs, and the Conn Smythe.

Personally I go with a goalie. There are very few elite goaltenders in this league, and if you build your team correctly around one, you will have a perennial cup contender.

Besides, even the top goalies in the league are paid around 2.5M per year less than Crosby, you should still be able to afford some talent up front.

Crosby, Malkin - either or really. Both have been spectacular for the Pens.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Big Ev wrote:Fleury a hack? He was awesome in the Stanley Cup Finals for them and he is a very good athletic goaltender. The Penguins don't win the Cup if John Curry or Mathieu Garon was in nets. Fleury is not in the category of Miller, Luongo, or lundqvist but he is still very talented and his resume is pretty damn good for a guy his age.

As for the question, no doubt it's Sidney Crosby. Buffalo would be a much better team if they had Crosby instead of Miller (with Enroth replacing him in nets). You don't need to have a .930 goaltender to win these days.

Take 90% of the starters in the NHL and plunk them into net for the Pens - and they win. John Curry? Garon? Those are 5th string goaltenders, I'm talking more about the starters out there. Fleury is (I'm being REALLY nice here) middle of the pack.

Amnesia021

Amnesia021
Rookie
Rookie
a sidebar question, if I may, Which goalie would you trade Spezza for, if any? Which player on the sens would you not use in a trade for that goalie?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Wouldn't trade Spezza for a goalie because goalie market is at a low. There are lots of goalies that are available, and a young prospect goalie can just as easily become a franchise goaltender for you given time.

Only goalie I would trade for is Steve Mason right now. He's still really young and has two years experience at the NHL already.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
You wouldn't trade for Miller or Lundqvist but you would trade for Mason? I don't understand.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Youth over near-30ish, ~$6M contracts is an easy decision for me.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
a crosby. i gained a whole lot of respect in our last playoffs against the pens. not only does he produce but he's the complete package on both ends of the ice. heck he'd probably have a .930 % if you let him in goals.

part of me hates him for being that good, but alot of respect is behind that hate. i'd take crosby in the sens any day.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star
LOL Do you guys realize what you're saying?
Let's say, the Sens add Sidney Crosby. How many more goals do you think the team is gonna score every game?

Now, add, instead of Crosby, a 0.930 goalie. For every 30 shots, he only allows 2 goals, night, in night out, all year. That's like Yaroslav Halak's performance during the last playoffs for 10+ years, aka probably the best goaltending performance of all time.
A garanteed win if you score more than 2 goals. Are you kidding me? August Question #6: .930 goalie or Sidney Crosby? - Page 2 270956

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star
SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:
A number 1 overall drafted hack. You may not think he was worth a 1st overall pick, but he's not a hack either.

Big deal. I thought he was over-hyped then, I think he's no better than average now.

Mmh, yeah, during that cup run, Fleury was more valuable than Crosby. Hack is kinda exagerated.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star
Big Ev wrote:Fleury a hack? He was awesome in the Stanley Cup Finals for them and he is a very good athletic goaltender. The Penguins don't win the Cup if John Curry or Mathieu Garon was in nets. Fleury is not in the category of Miller, Luongo, or lundqvist but he is still very talented and his resume is pretty damn good for a guy his age.

Do you know how many goals did the Sabres score last year? 10th in the league, not that bad if you ask me. Buffalo has problems on D, not up front. Miller doesn't just stop the shots, he basically tells the whole team to play all offense for 60 min, which is a huge boost.

ON the other hand, the worst team in the league in offense got to the Conference Semi Finals with an awesome goalie while the best team in offense was out in the first round, frustrated by a hot goalie...

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran
I would probably add the goalie, but does that type of player even exist in today's NHL? When is the last time I goalie put up those numbers when playing 60+ games?

Maybe a more realistic comparison would be a better way of going about things August Question #6: .930 goalie or Sidney Crosby? - Page 2 270956

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
stempniaksen wrote:I would probably add the goalie, but does that type of player even exist in today's NHL? When is the last time I goalie put up those numbers when playing 60+ games?

Maybe a more realistic comparison would be a better way of going about things August Question #6: .930 goalie or Sidney Crosby? - Page 2 270956

Didn't someone say, earlier, that Toskala was .929 and Miller not too far behind him? That was just this past season.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran
Crosby over anyone.

I'll take the guy playing 82 games over the guy playing 65.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star
dennycrane wrote:Crosby over anyone.

I'll take the guy playing 82 games over the guy playing 65.

I take the guy playing 60 minutes August Question #6: .930 goalie or Sidney Crosby? - Page 2 Icon_wink

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran
wprager wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:I would probably add the goalie, but does that type of player even exist in today's NHL? When is the last time I goalie put up those numbers when playing 60+ games?

Didn't someone say, earlier, that Toskala was .929 and Miller not too far behind him? That was just this past season.

It was Tuuka Rask and it was over a smaller smaple size than the 60 games listed.

I'm just saying that a guy who would be putting up those numbers would be getting the Vezina on a consistent basis because he would be first in most statistical categories.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
No, I was thinking of Miller and Vokoun (although I mis-remembered, thinking it was Miller who had the lower SV%).

Miller had .929 in 60 games. To me that's close enough.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I think I'd take a winning goalie over Crosby. By that I mean someone who's won Cups on multiple occasions and that steps it up consistently in the playoffs.

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum