GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Other Sports Talk » MLB - Baseball Talk » Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky

Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky Empty Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky on Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:19 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/08/cubs-sign-trevor-gretzky

The son of the "Great One" has been drafted by the Chicago Cubs.

2Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky Empty Re: Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:09 pm

Hayden

Hayden
Rookie
Rookie
I think it's a huge mistake that the Jays didn't draft him. The headline alone would get people excited about the Jays and maybe put some butts in the seats.

Just think of the headlines - TO finally gets the great one, Gretzky to TO, etc.

3Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky Empty Re: Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:49 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Hayden wrote:I think it's a huge mistake that the Jays didn't draft him. The headline alone would get people excited about the Jays and maybe put some butts in the seats.

Just think of the headlines - TO finally gets the great one, Gretzky to TO, etc.

Um not really. Not sure if you know much about baseball but baseball draft prospects take A LONG time to make it to the pros, and Gretzky was a 6th rounder so he is longshot to make it.

Just hearing the Jays drafting him would not put more asses in the seats.

4Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky Empty Re: Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:51 pm

Hayden

Hayden
Rookie
Rookie
So you don't think they should have taken a shot at him - eventhough they had 800 picks in the first couple of rounds?

5Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky Empty Re: Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:01 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
If they didn't like him over their other picks then no. You don't draft him based on his name...he's not even Canadian.

6Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky Empty Re: Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:11 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Hayden wrote:I think it's a huge mistake that the Jays didn't draft him. The headline alone would get people excited about the Jays and maybe put some butts in the seats.

Just think of the headlines - TO finally gets the great one, Gretzky to TO, etc.

The Jays' scouting staff is now one of the biggest in the league, AA and his guys wouldn't draft someone based on name alone, they would have a very precise list of guys they wanted.

7Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky Empty Re: Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky on Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:44 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Toronto is still miffed at Gretzky/Fraser for the blown high-sticking call in '93. Eighteen years ago (and 12 days, but who's counting).


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

8Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky Empty Re: Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:27 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Big Ev wrote:
Hayden wrote:I think it's a huge mistake that the Jays didn't draft him. The headline alone would get people excited about the Jays and maybe put some butts in the seats.

Just think of the headlines - TO finally gets the great one, Gretzky to TO, etc.

Um not really. Not sure if you know much about baseball but baseball draft prospects take A LONG time to make it to the pros, and Gretzky was a 6th rounder so he is longshot to make it.

Just hearing the Jays drafting him would not put more asses in the seats.
7th round...

9Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky Empty Re: Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:41 pm

jawal

jawal
Rookie
Rookie
Hayden wrote:So you don't think they should have taken a shot at him - eventhough they had 800 picks in the first couple of rounds?
I believe he was taken 219. That's a relatively high draft pick. I agree with AA philosophy of drafting BPA.

Btw is anyone else headed to Rogers centre to see the red sox this weekend?

10Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky Empty Re: Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:09 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe this draft went 50 rounds...

11Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky Empty Re: Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:14 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nice move by the Rangers in the MLB draft...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Nice-pick-Rangers-select-paralyzed-Georgia-play?urn=mlb-wp8932

Looks like some teams do draft based on name eh Big Ev?

Wink

12Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky Empty Re: Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky on Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:14 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
jawal wrote:
Hayden wrote:So you don't think they should have taken a shot at him - eventhough they had 800 picks in the first couple of rounds?
I believe he was taken 219. That's a relatively high draft pick. I agree with AA philosophy of drafting BPA.

Btw is anyone else headed to Rogers centre to see the red sox this weekend?

Forgot to reply. I was there, and I loved every minutes of the Dung the Sox laid into the Jays.

13Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky Empty Re: Cubs draft Trevor Gretzky on Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:12 pm

jawal

jawal
Rookie
Rookie
Big Ev wrote:
jawal wrote:
Hayden wrote:So you don't think they should have taken a shot at him - eventhough they had 800 picks in the first couple of rounds?
I believe he was taken 219. That's a relatively high draft pick. I agree with AA philosophy of drafting BPA.

Btw is anyone else headed to Rogers centre to see the red sox this weekend?

Forgot to reply. I was there, and I loved every minutes of the Dung the Sox laid into the Jays.

Me, not so much. I still like travelling down the 401 to Toronto to see baseball live. I usually go when the Yankees or Red sox are in town, so i'm used to seeing the Blue Jays lose. Also I was all set to go down to see the Phillies but my niece choose that weekend to get married. So I'll miss Doc no hitting the Blue Jays.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum