GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch

2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 67]

612011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 5 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:07 pm

wprager


Administrator
Administrator
"Zibanejad"

Had to look it up because, let's face it, there's no consistency here. I think I've seen 5 different spellings, and that's just one poster. Sarcasm

622011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 5 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:14 pm

SensHulk


All-Star
All-Star
Big Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
spader wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Strome's a douche.

^ That's a useful contribution, right there. Facepalm

I only state facts.
can you get behind that statement with facts? why is he a douche?
some people might argue spezza is a moron but i love the guy (and the laugh that goes with it) Sarcasm
no but seriously why? I'm all for changing my mind on a certain player but there has to be a fair argument not just statements thrown out there.

He just screams douchebag in any interview you watch, and others who know him personally say he's a cocky "jock" douchebag.

632011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 5 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:24 pm

Ev


Franchise Player
Franchise Player
rooneypoo wrote:
NEELY wrote:
spader wrote:
NEELY wrote:
spader wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Strome's a douche.

^ That's a useful contribution, right there. Facepalm

The thing is, if that's The Sens take too then yes, it is a useful peice of information. When you are talking about guys like Zibenajed, Landeskog, and Strome, character will always win out over skill. Two of those guys have way more than the other, being a douche has a lot to do with it.

"If" is the operative word there. "If" that's the Sens take, then I'd be more than happy to acknowledge that it's useful information. If anyone can show me a source that indicates that the Sens' official position is that "Strome's a douche," I'd love to see it.

You can pick up on a lot of stuff on twitter. I don't know enough about the kid but immaturiry could also be confused with being a douche or an bunghole as well. I'm not saying all the players in this draft have to be like Landeskog but there does need to be a certain amount of maturity.

A kid like Strome based on some of the on ice habits and his off ice demenior, you can tell he is a player that will have to be broken down and humbled before he is built back up. The question will be, does he have the character to go along with that. Those questions are not there for Zibenajed or Landeskog.

I guess we'll find out soon enough, especially if we don't move up. If we pick at 6, the odds are high that both Strome and Zibenajed will be available. Would it be crazy for us to take Zibenajed?

Nope, I've seen a lot of mocks (and my own mock Sarcasm ) that have Zibanejad to the Sens or around there.

Plus it wouldn't be crazy, since they did bring him to Ottawa and said 1 of the 6 (5 players brought in + Hamilton) would be a Senator.

642011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 5 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:25 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
let's for a second say that they think strome has some attitude issues.
once they suit him up for some pre-season games that should straighten him out a little bit.IMO. Sure i've heard what he said as far as him liking the spotlight so on and so on. he's a little cocky for sure. I don't see it as a huge red flag.
If he'd walk into there and say i'm the best player in this draft take me... then i'd say he's a little high and mighty.

when it comes down to it i think if you're going to judge a guy from these micro moments then you're out to lunch. what we know and have seen is but a grain of sand within the bigger picture the organisation is seeing.
alot of assumptions are being formed with little facts

652011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 5 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:33 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/2011/06/18/18300616.html

Not really news, but the Sens may want to move up to 4 is their player is still available, but they would trade the 6th overall plus one of their 2nd rounders, and don't want to give up #21 just to move up 2 spots.

Article also says the Rangers were interested in Kuba t the deadline, with Tortorella a fan from his days with the Lightning.

Murray wasnted to talk to MacLean before talking with Shannon. MacLean likes team speed, so that should be good for Shannon.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

662011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 5 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:01 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:let's for a second say that they think strome has some attitude issues.
once they suit him up for some pre-season games that should straighten him out a little bit.IMO. Sure i've heard what he said as far as him liking the spotlight so on and so on. he's a little cocky for sure. I don't see it as a huge red flag.
If he'd walk into there and say i'm the best player in this draft take me... then i'd say he's a little high and mighty.

when it comes down to it i think if you're going to judge a guy from these micro moments then you're out to lunch. what we know and have seen is but a grain of sand within the bigger picture the organisation is seeing.
alot of assumptions are being formed with little facts

They do interviews for a reason dude. You're not out to lunch if you judge a guy from a 5 minute sit-down.

672011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 5 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:36 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star
Big Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
spader wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Strome's a douche.

^ That's a useful contribution, right there. Facepalm

I only state facts.
can you get behind that statement with facts? why is he a douche?
some people might argue spezza is a moron but i love the guy (and the laugh that goes with it) Sarcasm
no but seriously why? I'm all for changing my mind on a certain player but there has to be a fair argument not just statements thrown out there.

He just screams douchebag in any interview you watch, and others who know him personally say he's a cocky "jock" douchebag.

So are Taylor Hall and Logan Couture. No big deal.
Strome has absolutely 0 problems on the ice, effort wise. That's the bottom line.

682011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 5 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:13 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
marakh wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
spader wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Strome's a douche.

^ That's a useful contribution, right there. Facepalm

I only state facts.
can you get behind that statement with facts? why is he a douche?
some people might argue spezza is a moron but i love the guy (and the laugh that goes with it) Sarcasm
no but seriously why? I'm all for changing my mind on a certain player but there has to be a fair argument not just statements thrown out there.

He just screams douchebag in any interview you watch, and others who know him personally say he's a cocky "jock" douchebag.

So are Taylor Hall and Logan Couture. No big deal.
Strome has absolutely 0 problems on the ice, effort wise. That's the bottom line.

Logan Couture should not be in the same sentence in terms of douchbagerie. He's a leader and has character.

and I disagree, Strome lacks the effort defensively from what I have heard.

692011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 5 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:49 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Big Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:let's for a second say that they think strome has some attitude issues.
once they suit him up for some pre-season games that should straighten him out a little bit.IMO. Sure i've heard what he said as far as him liking the spotlight so on and so on. he's a little cocky for sure. I don't see it as a huge red flag.
If he'd walk into there and say i'm the best player in this draft take me... then i'd say he's a little high and mighty.

when it comes down to it i think if you're going to judge a guy from these micro moments then you're out to lunch. what we know and have seen is but a grain of sand within the bigger picture the organisation is seeing.
alot of assumptions are being formed with little facts

They do interviews for a reason dude. You're not out to lunch if you judge a guy from a 5 minute sit-down.
No i meant that who ever(fans) makes an opinion based on those seconds of footage from senate reform is out to lunch.

702011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 5 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:07 pm

Guest


Guest
Big Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:let's for a second say that they think strome has some attitude issues.
once they suit him up for some pre-season games that should straighten him out a little bit.IMO. Sure i've heard what he said as far as him liking the spotlight so on and so on. he's a little cocky for sure. I don't see it as a huge red flag.
If he'd walk into there and say i'm the best player in this draft take me... then i'd say he's a little high and mighty.

when it comes down to it i think if you're going to judge a guy from these micro moments then you're out to lunch. what we know and have seen is but a grain of sand within the bigger picture the organisation is seeing.
alot of assumptions are being formed with little facts

They do interviews for a reason dude. You're not out to lunch if you judge a guy from a 5 minute sit-down.

Yep, 5 minutes is more than enough time to judge someone's character. Laugh1 Facepalm

Sometimes you say things that I assume are a joke, but are completely devoid of smilies to denote that you are kidding.

712011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 5 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:39 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran
People in the "real world" have their character judged on 5 minute interviews? Why is it a stretch to say scouts do the same when interviewing players?

722011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 5 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:15 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
hemlock wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:let's for a second say that they think strome has some attitude issues.
once they suit him up for some pre-season games that should straighten him out a little bit.IMO. Sure i've heard what he said as far as him liking the spotlight so on and so on. he's a little cocky for sure. I don't see it as a huge red flag.
If he'd walk into there and say i'm the best player in this draft take me... then i'd say he's a little high and mighty.

when it comes down to it i think if you're going to judge a guy from these micro moments then you're out to lunch. what we know and have seen is but a grain of sand within the bigger picture the organisation is seeing.
alot of assumptions are being formed with little facts

They do interviews for a reason dude. You're not out to lunch if you judge a guy from a 5 minute sit-down.

Yep, 5 minutes is more than enough time to judge someone's character. Laugh1 Facepalm

Sometimes you say things that I assume are a joke, but are completely devoid of smilies to denote that you are kidding.

No I am not kidding at all. You ever hear of JOB INTERVIEWS? They judge you in 5-30 mintues time, however long it takes to interview you. It's no different in the NHL. Kirk Muller apparently doesn't interview well, hence why he is without a HC job right now. At the combine, Seth Ambroz did not impress in his interviews, further cementing the fact that he doesn't have great character.

You can easily judge somebody by talking to them for 5-10 minutes.



Last edited by Big Ev on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total

732011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 5 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:16 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
stempniaksen wrote:People in the "real world" have their character judged on 5 minute interviews? Why is it a stretch to say scouts do the same when interviewing players?

This.

742011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 5 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:12 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star
Big Ev wrote:
marakh wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
spader wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Strome's a douche.

^ That's a useful contribution, right there. Facepalm

I only state facts.
can you get behind that statement with facts? why is he a douche?
some people might argue spezza is a moron but i love the guy (and the laugh that goes with it) Sarcasm
no but seriously why? I'm all for changing my mind on a certain player but there has to be a fair argument not just statements thrown out there.

He just screams douchebag in any interview you watch, and others who know him personally say he's a cocky "jock" douchebag.

So are Taylor Hall and Logan Couture. No big deal.
Strome has absolutely 0 problems on the ice, effort wise. That's the bottom line.

Logan Couture should not be in the same sentence in terms of douchbagerie. He's a leader and has character.

and I disagree, Strome lacks the effort defensively from what I have heard.

Most people who know Logan Couture personnally, including his former classmates think he's a douche. I thought this was pretty much known by everyone? Just because Brian Kilrea straightened him up on the ice doesn't mean he can't be an arrogant dude off the ice. And who cares really.
I haven't read anywhere that Ryan Strome lacks effort defensively. He's not Landeskog and he needs work, I haven't read it has something to do with effort
Anyway this is pretty much way overblown. Ryan Getzlaf used to be a lazy junior player.

752011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 5 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:14 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star
stempniaksen wrote:People in the "real world" have their character judged on 5 minute interviews? Why is it a stretch to say scouts do the same when interviewing players?

Scouts talk a lot with people surrounding players, they have a pretty good idea of someone's character before even meeting them. It's just a formality.

762011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 5 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:18 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


my money is on Strome if we pick at 6, slight attitude problem or not. I haven't heard much about this attitude problem from the stuff i've read and i'm not gonna put much stock in hearsay from a few posters on forums. If i did then everyone in this frakin draft has his issues one way or another.
the kid is... well exactly that, a kid. plenty of time to straighten him out.

Obviously this could change depending on if anyone falls down in the draft.

772011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 5 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:20 am

Guest


Guest
stempniaksen wrote:People in the "real world" have their character judged on 5 minute interviews? Why is it a stretch to say scouts do the same when interviewing players?

If you've only got 5 minutes, it's impossible to make an accurate read on character. In that amount of time, the interviewer is trying to gain some insight as to the interviewees qualifications first and foremost. Sure, character counts, but 5 minutes is NOT enough time to judge someone's character, period. It's just plain dumb to think this is the case. 5 minutes is not time enough to judge ANYONE'S character. There simply isn't enough time to make a proper assessment, much less ask enough questions to make an informed decision.

As it relates to hockey, do you honestly believe that a player will be completely discredited based on a 5 minute interview? Unlikely. In the end, his on-ice performance trumps all. There are PLENTY of guys who've got attitude issues that still have employment because they perform on the ice.

782011 NHL Entry Draft Watch - Page 5 Empty Re: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Watch on Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:21 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
5 minutes may have been an exaggeration. Make it 20-30 minutes, and you're good.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum