GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Other Sports Talk » MLB - Baseball Talk » Jeter homers for his 3000th hit

Jeter homers for his 3000th hit

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Jeter homers for his 3000th hit Empty Jeter homers for his 3000th hit on Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:07 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
What a moment - and no, I'm most certainly not a Yankees fan, but it was one of those great moments to say the least.

2Jeter homers for his 3000th hit Empty Re: Jeter homers for his 3000th hit on Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:49 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
SpezDispenser wrote:What a moment - and no, I'm most certainly not a Yankees fan, but it was one of those great moments to say the least.

Not bad.

Why is Rose not in the Hall of Fame yet?

3Jeter homers for his 3000th hit Empty Re: Jeter homers for his 3000th hit on Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:51 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
He bet on a baseball game he was managing (as well as many others).

4Jeter homers for his 3000th hit Empty Re: Jeter homers for his 3000th hit on Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:07 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
SpezDispenser wrote:He bet on a baseball game he was managing (as well as many others).

So? And Babe Ruth drank all the time and ran around with loose women, and that's probably not half as bad as what players do now. Rose never affected the outcome of a game with his betting. It's not something I condone, it's not something I do, personally (betting) but this is just ridiculous. All-time leader in hits, games, at-bats, outs, three World Series rings, three batting titles, two Golden Globves, MVP, RotY and 17 All Star games at 5 different positions. Giamatti had it in for him even before he became commissioner -- he handed out a 30 game suspension to Rose when he was a manager -- that was the biggest suspension ever. And don't tell me that no manager had ever pushed an umpire before.

By all accounts Rose is not a nice man. That does not make him unique. What he has accomplished on the field, however, does. He absolutely should be in the Hall.

5Jeter homers for his 3000th hit Empty Re: Jeter homers for his 3000th hit on Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:21 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Rose bet on games he controlled... surely you can see how wrong that is.

6Jeter homers for his 3000th hit Empty Re: Jeter homers for his 3000th hit on Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:Rose bet on games he controlled... surely you can see how wrong that is.

Did he bet against his team? No, or at least that's not something anyone has proved.

In high-tech you are often given stock options or are encouraged to engage in employee stock purchase plans. However you are usually not allowed to short the stock.

7Jeter homers for his 3000th hit Empty Re: Jeter homers for his 3000th hit on Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:28 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
MLB Rule 21 spells it out pretty clearly...

http://baseball1.com/files/rose/rule21.html

8Jeter homers for his 3000th hit Empty Re: Jeter homers for his 3000th hit on Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:19 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:MLB Rule 21 spells it out pretty clearly...

http://baseball1.com/files/rose/rule21.html

There are rules in hockey and baseball that were broken countless times by players in the respective halls of fame. The two should not be so closely connected. His accomplishments on the field are what they are and should be in the hall. His accomplishments off the field are what they are. I will not defend them or him. Let me just make it perfectly clear that I'm not a Rose apologist. Sure, when he played for the Expos I was a fan, but I was young and didn't know much. I've read and heard things since then that made me realize that this is not a role model for anyone. However I still separate his accomplishments on the field from his problems in personal life. And even if he *did* bet against his own team, as a manager, that still does nothing to the records he owns. His betting did not *help him* reach those numbers. If anything, he probably could have accomplished even more, who knows. I find his misconduct to be very different in nature from the misconducts of Bonds or McGuire.

You simply cannot write down *all* conduct rules down into a rule book. For example, a convicted pedophile certainly is a worse offender than a gambler. Yet, unless that rule is specifically written down, there's nothing to exclude a pedophile from being elected to the hall.

Anyhow, I really don't want to drag this out any longer. This thread is really about Jeter's accomplishment so I shouldn't have mentioned Rose at all.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum