GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » Yahoo! Sports ranks the league's top 25 centers

Yahoo! Sports ranks the league's top 25 centers

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star
SpezDispenser wrote:I'd say he's as much a C as Foligno is.

Three years ago or so, Babcock made the conscious decision to split Datsyuk and Zetterberg up and have then each centre a line. A doesn't always work like that in practice -- i.e., on power plays, when they need a goal badly, etc. -- but that is how they like to deploy the two.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
When Datsyuk and Zetterberg play together, Datsyukis usually the winger.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Quote from a Wings die-hard:

For the 265324665456346523423657865854735623452436374566th time: Henrik Zetterberg is a center. He played LW his first year in the league and after that he's pretty much always played center, just like he's always done outside of the NHL. One goddamn season. Seriously, how does he still get labeled as a LW? How hard is it to understand? Stupid stupid stupid...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
rooneypoo wrote:
Three years ago or so, Babcock made the conscious decision to split Datsyuk and Zetterberg up and have then each centre a line. A doesn't always work like that in practice -- i.e., on power plays, when they need a goal badly, etc. -- but that is how they like to deploy the two.

If you say so...everytime I've watched the Wings, either Datsyuk is the C with Z, or Filppula is the C with Z. They might rove around on the ice from time to time, but I don't see Z lining up for faceoffs, and I often see him patrolling the LW while Filppula plays C and Franzen plays RW.

I could be wrong, but I see the majority of Z's work done on the wings. Can he play C? Yes, absolutely. Should he be on a list of the top Cs in the game? Not in my opinion, he should be one of the top LWs in the game though. Again, I could be wrong, but that was my take from watching the Wings the last few years.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Captain Hindsight wrote:Quote from a Wings die-hard:

For the 265324665456346523423657865854735623452436374566th time: Henrik Zetterberg is a center. He played LW his first year in the league and after that he's pretty much always played center, just like he's always done outside of the NHL. One goddamn season. Seriously, how does he still get labeled as a LW? How hard is it to understand? Stupid stupid stupid...

There we go then, mystery solved I guess.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
He's mentioned as an honorable mention at least.

Wyshinski never gives the Sens any credit, when I hear him on the radio or his articles he pretty much dismisses anything to do with the team (he's admitted he really does not follow the team either).

If you read his article, it's more of a prediction of which NHL centres will do really well next year. Spezza is usually projected to be playing with Filatov and Butler/Michalek so no one expects him to put up numbers.

Much like the rest of the team, there are so many unknowns no one is giving the team the slightest bit of credit for next season.

I usually get pissed when mainstream media disses the Sens but I really don't care anymore, we're rebuilding. Hopefully we exceed expectations and they eat crow.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran
Based on the last couple of seasons it's tough to put Spea in the top-20 in the league. That's not to say he wouldn't be in my own personal top-20, but I can understand why the mainstream media isn't putting him there. Barring an injury (obviously not a guarantee) he'll be in the top-20 of this list next season.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Well, Malking and Crosby missed a ton of games last season. Maybe they shouldn't be in that list either, not until they prove that they're not riddled with potential injuries.

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran
Uh-oh, the homer mentality coming out. Spezza certainly appears to have turned the corner with regards to consistency and leadership. The jury is still out if he transcends from a good NHL C to a great one. I'd give him a couple of years before he gets a mention on this list.

As for the list, I struggle to understand the decision to include Dave Bolland. Good shutdown abilities for sure, he doesn't merit mention as a top 20 C, IMO

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran
wprager wrote:Well, Malking and Crosby missed a ton of games last season. Maybe they shouldn't be in that list either, not until they prove that they're not riddled with potential injuries.

I didn't say last season, I said the last couple of seasons. Clearly you can see the difference.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
stempniaksen wrote:
wprager wrote:Well, Malking and Crosby missed a ton of games last season. Maybe they shouldn't be in that list either, not until they prove that they're not riddled with potential injuries.

I didn't say last season, I said the last couple of seasons. Clearly you can see the difference.

Just playing Devil's Advocate. And not necessarily to/with you. Spezza hurt his knew two seasons ago on a strange play that's not going to happen very often. He hurt his shoulder this past season on a pretty reckless check. Earlier he's had issues with his back, and those are the ones that really worried me, however since then, apart from these two serious -- but uncommon -- plays he's been relatively healthy. And he's still a PPG player over his career.

I'd say the chances of him missing more than 10 games next season due to injury are just as likely as Crosby or Malkin. Actually, given the style of play, I'd say Spezza will spend less time on the IR than the average of Crosby and Malkin.

So we have a PPG center who (now) kills penalties and is relied on by his team to take all important face offs. I'd like him to get a little stronger on the back check, but even without that, who would you prefer -- Spezza or Plekanec, Bolland?

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran
wprager wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:

Just playing Devil's Advocate. And not necessarily to/with you. Spezza hurt his knew two seasons ago on a strange play that's not going to happen very often. He hurt his shoulder this past season on a pretty reckless check. Earlier he's had issues with his back, and those are the ones that really worried me, however since then, apart from these two serious -- but uncommon -- plays he's been relatively healthy. And he's still a PPG player over his career.

I'd say the chances of him missing more than 10 games next season due to injury are just as likely as Crosby or Malkin. Actually, given the style of play, I'd say Spezza will spend less time on the IR than the average of Crosby and Malkin.

So we have a PPG center who (now) kills penalties and is relied on by his team to take all important face offs. I'd like him to get a little stronger on the back check, but even without that, who would you prefer -- Spezza or Plekanec, Bolland?

I understand playing devil's advocate, I do it quite a bit myself. I just think you are exageratting things to fit your argument in this case.

In regards to Spezza's health, he is clearly a guy who has some trouble with injuries (fluke or not) so saying he is going to spend less time on the IR than Crosby or Malkin at this point in time is like saying the Sens are gonna finish 1st in the division (it could very well happen, but I wouldn't bet the house on it).

As far as an actual top-20 I feel it's necessary to point out that Spezza would be in mine no questions asked. Heck he would probably even be in the top-15 based on my unconditional love for the guy. All that being said I have no issue with him being left out of a list of top-25 centres because of his sup-bar offensive performance in the last 3 years and the fact that he has only turned it around defensively for half a season. That coupled with the fact that he is going to be one of only 2 top-six forwards on the team this year and I understand the mainstream media's bias against him.

And guys like Staal and Bolland being on the list is irrelevant in this case since it's one guys opinion. There are guys he left off the list that can conceivably be put in over all of the mentioned players.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I have *a couple small* issues with that. First, three years ago he 73 points. Not fantastic, but more than Tavares or Staal (Jorda) have ever done. So it's not exactly fair to say he's had 3 sub-par seasons. Also, regarding his half-season of good defensive play, two seasons ago he started slowly (offensively) but a lot of that had to do with his good defensive play -- in fact, he finished up -1 on a so-so team. So I think it's more fair to say that he has applied himself defensively for two seasons (although he missed significant portions of both of them).

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran
wprager wrote:I have *a couple small* issues with that. First, three years ago he 73 points. Not fantastic, but more than Tavares or Staal (Jorda) have ever done. So it's not exactly fair to say he's had 3 sub-par seasons. Also, regarding his half-season of good defensive play, two seasons ago he started slowly (offensively) but a lot of that had to do with his good defensive play -- in fact, he finished up -1 on a so-so team. So I think it's more fair to say that he has applied himself defensively for two seasons (although he missed significant portions of both of them).

I'm with ya, but is it so far fetched that some in the media who haven't seen his day to day progression would be worried when Jason is going into this season surrounded by garbage in the top-six?

He's not the only guy that was snubbed either so we (as Sens fans) shouldn't act like this list is the be all end all, when it's just the opinion of one sports writer (who seems to be a bit of a moron).

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran
Spezza's health hasn't helped his cause. I think he has top-25 talent for sure. That he isn't on the list says as much about Spezza as it does the author.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
stempniaksen wrote:
wprager wrote:I have *a couple small* issues with that. First, three years ago he 73 points. Not fantastic, but more than Tavares or Staal (Jorda) have ever done. So it's not exactly fair to say he's had 3 sub-par seasons. Also, regarding his half-season of good defensive play, two seasons ago he started slowly (offensively) but a lot of that had to do with his good defensive play -- in fact, he finished up -1 on a so-so team. So I think it's more fair to say that he has applied himself defensively for two seasons (although he missed significant portions of both of them).

I'm with ya, but is it so far fetched that some in the media who haven't seen his day to day progression would be worried when Jason is going into this season surrounded by garbage in the top-six?

He's not the only guy that was snubbed either so we (as Sens fans) shouldn't act like this list is the be all end all, when it's just the opinion of one sports writer (who seems to be a bit of a moron).

No, yeah, I get it. I started this off by saying I'm biased, but I just don't see Tavares or even Stamkos up there. Certainly not as centers -- to me a center should be much more rounded than what Stamkos brings. Maybe in a few years, but not now. Same for some other names on that list.

Da lil Guy

Da lil Guy
Rookie
Rookie
I can't believe Spezza's not on that list.

Guys like Staal, Backes are great players. Tavares has been good, and maybe he has the potential to be better, but none of them are close to Spezza.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Pleks and Bolland but not Spezza... hmmmm... not sure about that... but that may be my Sens bias coming through.

Anze Kopitar... dare to dream...

Last edited by shabbs on Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum