GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » NHL Realignment

NHL Realignment

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

What do you think of the realignment?

NHL Realignment - Page 2 Vote_lcap240%NHL Realignment - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 40% [ 4 ]
NHL Realignment - Page 2 Vote_lcap230%NHL Realignment - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 30% [ 3 ]
NHL Realignment - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%NHL Realignment - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
NHL Realignment - Page 2 Vote_lcap210%NHL Realignment - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 10% [ 1 ]
NHL Realignment - Page 2 Vote_lcap220%NHL Realignment - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 20% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16NHL Realignment - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Realignment on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:02 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Should be a 20 team playoff with teams seeded 18 - 21 having a short play-in for the final 2 spots.

17NHL Realignment - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Realignment on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:14 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
tim1_2 wrote:My idea is still the best-ever for the playoffs:

Top 8 teams from each conference (only 2 conferences) make the playoffs. The #1 seed gets to PICK their opponent for round one. #2 picks from the leftovers, and so forth. This creates instant animosity, great storylines, and rewards the higher seeds even more by letting them pick their best matchup.

After the first round, this selection process repeates itself, with the higher seeds getting to pick their opponents for round 2. The conference finals would obviously determine themselves.
Gotta say, I'm not a fan of teams picking their opponents. Seems to "commercialized" to me. Something that screams "made for TV". With that said, Bettman will make this happen.

Wink

18NHL Realignment - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Realignment on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:03 am

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star
So even if Phoenix moved East, the two western conferences would have 8 and 7 teams respectively, same with the east. Doesn't make sense really.

I actually think 32 teams, adding two more to the east, is the most logical.

19NHL Realignment - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Realignment on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:20 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
What does this mean to the prince of wales trophy or the clarence campbell? IMO, they still have to distinctly separate the Eastern/Western 'conferences' or whatever the devil they wanna call it

20NHL Realignment - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Realignment on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:23 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
The last thing this league needs is expansion, given that there are so many struggling franchises. Relocation makes sense...expansion makes none.

21NHL Realignment - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Realignment on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:24 am

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran
I'd rather kill 2 franchises then create a 2 new one's (not that it would ever happen, just my preference).

I must admit, this re-alignement is growing on me

22NHL Realignment - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Realignment on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:34 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
stempniaksen wrote:

Does the revamped playoff format not bother you? What if Ottawa finishes 5th in their "Conference", but has more points than a team from the other Eastern "Conference", and they get left out of the playoff picture?

That will suck balls.

23NHL Realignment - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Realignment on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:45 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
What do you guys think our playoff chances are under this system ?

Boston looks to be a contender for a long time.
The other teams are contenders as well.
Miller looks like he's coming back into form.
Florida looks like a whole new team
Tampa is a good team who is just struggling right now.
Even the friggin' Leafs look like they've made it out of the basement.

Montreal seems the weakest but they've been underestimated for years and somehow make it in anyway.

24NHL Realignment - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Realignment on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:56 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Hoags wrote:What do you guys think our playoff chances are under this system ?

Boston looks to be a contender for a long time.
The other teams are contenders as well.
Miller looks like he's coming back into form.
Florida looks like a whole new team
Tampa is a good team who is just struggling right now.
Even the friggin' Leafs look like they've made it out of the basement.

Montreal seems the weakest but they've been underestimated for years and somehow make it in anyway.

I like how almost every team is solid. Gives us a challenge, not just a freebie spot. If we can't be in the Top 4 then we don't deserve to make it.

As long as we keep building towards being a solid contender then I like our chances regardless of the competition.

25NHL Realignment - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Realignment on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:56 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
tim1_2 wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:

Does the revamped playoff format not bother you? What if Ottawa finishes 5th in their "Conference", but has more points than a team from the other Eastern "Conference", and they get left out of the playoff picture?

That will suck balls.
South East division has had that going on all the time with the Division Winner getting a top 3 seed.

Wink

Now, I don't recall the South East division winner ever having less points than other teams that did not make the playoffs. Does anyone?

Pressure will be on to finish Top 4 in your conf/division/group/whateverthefackitis.

26NHL Realignment - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Realignment on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:15 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
purple monkey dishwasher!!!!!!!! squirrel Leftie

seriously I don't like it. Not that i'm against change but there's too many flaws again. It's silly that we'll be picking from the 4 best in the divisions once the playoffs come. granted there's a bit more parity in this league it could come one day that teams make the playoffs when their points in comparison would keep them in a better system. I think owners of good competitive teams will be pretty pissed about this when they see their team miss the playoffs because they were in a stronger division.

one thing that i've wanted to take away was this top 3 teams in conference, sometimes the thrid team should just really have been a 7 or 8th or even 9th placed team. silly.

the way I see it they are going to relocate a team(say pheonix) to quebec city and it's going to be that much harder for teams in our division to make the playoffs... monkey balls!!!!!!!! either you ad 2 teams to the league or you add extra playoff spots. the later if possible.

I feel like this league is being ran by a clown. oh wait it is!

the only thing I guess i do understand is that travel time becomes more equal across the board.

27NHL Realignment - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Realignment on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:57 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I remember back in the 70s and 80s when you would make it to the playoffs if you could win half of your games, or at least come close. Back then it was "80 games to eliminate 5 teams, then 5 games to eliminate 8 teams" -- that was a comparison of the regular season (80 game schedule, 16 of 21 teams made it in) versus the first round (used to be a best of 5, and 8 of the 16 teams were eliminated). Sure, it made the regular season a bit of a joke because you had to be pretty awful to miss. However now, with 30 teams in the league (from 21 to 30 is a 43% jump) it has become too hard to get in. Even with loser points, teams that win half their games simply don't make it in; and with the suggested format, you could have a team with a much better than .500 record still not making it in.

I don't mind the re-alignment (Garrioch and Brennan must be wetting themselves with all those trips to Florida), although there's going to be significantly more travel for the former-NE teams. I am not at all happy with the playoff format, though. Here they had an opportunity to generate more revenues from a longer playoff format, while at the same time giving teams in strong division a better chance at competing, and they just ignored it.

28NHL Realignment - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Realignment on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:18 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Here is a map showing the new conferences:

NHL Realignment - Page 2 NHL-Realignment-Map-Wk281

Tell me the NE teams aren't getting screwed royally. On the one hand, they get frequent Florida trips, on the other, they'll log a ton of AirMiles. I guess it would have been ridiculous to put one of each of the Florida teams in both Eastern conferences, and anything else would likely require splitting up the likes of Philly and NYR.

Bah! The names are Western, Eastern, Atlantic and Central: W.E.A.C.

29NHL Realignment - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Realignment on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:29 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
I've never seen all the teams on a map like that. Really puts it into perspective how much distance there is between some cities. The East in general is a clusterdiddle. Detroit and Columbus could easily be with Toronto, Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

30NHL Realignment - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Realignment on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:53 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Dash wrote:I've never seen all the teams on a map like that. Really puts it into perspective how much distance there is between some cities. The East in general is a clusterdiddle. Detroit and Columbus could easily be with Toronto, Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

I've got an idea:

Move Colorado out of the West and into the Central. Move Detroit and Columbus out of the Central into the Eastern. Move the two Florida teams out of the Eastern and into the Atlantic (since they are on the Atlantic coast). Move Boston to the Atlantic for the same reason. Move Pittsburgh to the Eastern. Geographically speaking it makes sense, but you lose the Boston/Montreal and Philly/Pittsburgh rivalries.

It's not going to happen. I should just resign myself to that fact. I don't know, maybe the players like going to Florida. But we'll be the only ones doing it this often, even though every team in the Atlantic is closer to them, geographically speaking.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum