GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 34 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Puempel back on the ice for morning practice. Staying away from Wamsley.

NEELY

Mod
Mod
From Wikstrand...

AHL eller SHL ... Jag väljer SHL 100 av 100 ggr för att utvecklas!

6:16 AM - 26 Sep 2015

That was a twitter post saying SEL over AHL basically but he deleted that. He's not only a quitter but a liar as this is 100% what it's about. Murray better not let him play a game anywhere but Bingo.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
NEELY wrote:From Wikstrand...

AHL eller SHL ... Jag väljer SHL 100 av 100 ggr för att utvecklas!

6:16 AM - 26 Sep 2015

That was a twitter post saying SEL over AHL basically but he deleted that.  He's not only a quitter but a liar as this is 100% what it's about.  Murray better not let him play a game anywhere but Bingo.

It was actually a retweet if this tweet by Richard axelssson

https://mobile.twitter.com/dickaxelsson/status/647716349050011648?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

NEELY

Mod
Mod
Either way, this kid is doing himself no favours. I am super interested to see how this actually plays out.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Loose translation of that tweet:

"AHL or SHL ... I take SHL 100 times out of 100 to develop"

Here's another article with some more timeline stuff:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25316420/senators-suspend-prospect-for-leaving-camp-gm-says-he-can-play-in-beer-league

He "disappeared" on Thursday and did not notify the team until he was at the airport, on his way back to Sweden.

Earlier he had told the team that he did not feel he was ready to play in North America and wanted to go back to Sweden.

The store clerk/beer league comment apparently comes from a conversation Murray had with Wikstrand (which he repeated to the media):

I told him he could go back and be a grocery clerk, he can play in the beer leagues, but he can not play hockey in any shape or form unless he plays for the Ottawa Senators organization. I made it very clear, if it's a beer league team he can play. I can't stop him from doing that, and I can't stop him from going home if that's what he wants to do, but he is suspended from playing hockey other than for our organization.

It's hard to believe there is really a sick family member involved. Lying, indeed. This speaks volumes to his character, I'm afraid. Stay away.

As for Murray letting him play, he is suspended so he's not getting paid. If the contract is somehow binding in that they can prevent him from playing anywhere, then should it not also be binding that they have to pay him?

It really will come down to a couple things -- would the SHL be willing to piss off the NHL for Wikstrand and would Wikstrand actually be willing to go against a contract he signed? That would be a massive black mark on his record going forward.

Who is (mis) representing him? This is not a confused 17 year old kid, this is a 21 year old *man*. If he suddenly got scared (after being hurt in the rookie game) and wants no part of the rough NA game, ok, I understand, ask the Senators to release him from the contract. If the NHL won't give them a compensatory pick, who cares, it would have been a 7th rounder anyway. And they didn't really spend much money developing him since he played in Sweden.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I doubt he would lie about the sick family member. There is no reason to believe that at the moment and there no reason for somebody to say he's telling the truth either. We don't know anything yet.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Also we allow other players to defect from other countries like Malkin did. Just saying. People quit on their other leagues many times.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Ev wrote:Also we allow other players to defect from other countries like Malkin did. Just saying. People quit on their other leagues many times.

Having escaped from the USSR myself (well, I was only 12 so it's not like it was my decision, but I am intimately aware of the reasons leading to the decision) I can categorically state that the situation has changed. There is no political or freedom-of-rights situation going on here. Please don't even go there.

This has nothing to do with quitting on the league. He was not in the league to begin with. It's quite possible that after his first introduction to the NA game he's having second thoughts about wanting to play in the NHL. That's fine, better find out now than a few years later. He's a 7th rounder how has done all of his development overseas so the Sens have spent very little on him both in terms of money for development and opportunities lost (picking another 7th rounder). They probably still think there's a chance he will change his mind and the skill is still there to be an NHLer. But it's becoming less and less likely that this will end with Wikstrand playing a single game in the NHL, ever.

As for the sick family member, it is really, really odd that he did not mention this until he found out he was suspended. I don't like accusing people of lying without knowing the true details but it's very difficult to defend him given his actions. I also find it very difficult to believe that the Sens would have played hardball if there really was a sick family member (and we're not talking about a cold or even a bad flu, here). They either did not know or it's not true. In either case, it's on Wikstrand.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:Also we allow other players to defect from other countries like Malkin did. Just saying. People quit on their other leagues many times.

Having escaped from the USSR myself (well, I was only 12 so it's not like it was my decision, but I am intimately aware of the reasons leading to the decision) I can categorically state that the situation has changed.  There is no political or freedom-of-rights situation going on here.  Please don't even go there.

This has nothing to do with quitting on the league.  He was not in the league to begin with.  It's quite possible that after his first introduction to the NA game he's having second thoughts about wanting to play in the NHL.  That's fine, better find out now than a few years later.  He's a 7th rounder how has done all of his development overseas so the Sens have spent very little on him both in terms of money for development and opportunities lost (picking another 7th rounder).  They probably still think there's a chance he will change his mind and the skill is still there to be an NHLer.  But it's becoming less and less likely that this will end with Wikstrand playing a single game in the NHL, ever.

As for the sick family member, it is really, really odd that he did not mention this until he found out he was suspended.  I don't like accusing people of lying without knowing the true details but it's very difficult to defend him given his actions.  I also find it very difficult to believe that the Sens would have played hardball if there really was a sick family member (and we're not talking about a cold or even a bad flu, here).  They either did not know or it's not true.  In either case, it's on Wikstrand.

What are you talking about in regards to Malkin? He quit his team to go to Pittsburgh. This isn't the ussr we're talking about.

Also what I don't get is why is Wikstrand allowed to sign with farjestad in the first place? Shouldn't players not be allowed to sign a euro deal once they have an NHL ELc?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
You talked about defecting. Sorry, not familiar with Malkin situation. What, exactly, did he do? Also the AHL and NHL are solid financially and in other ways. The KHL had a player die on the bench because they couldn't find a working defibrillator, they had an entire team die because they were using sub-standard airplanes for travel, living conditions for non-superstar players are likely worse than the AHL, and so on. Different situation.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Bottom line is he signed a contract and now he wants out of it. Pretty sure this is not unprecedented territory. Malkin was a superstar; this guys was a 7th rounder.

NEELY

Mod
Mod
Also, just an aside... I think Murray and the Sens are the last group of people you want to converse with about "sick people". Brian Murray has terminal cancer and Wikstrand uses that as an excuse to go back.

Ev just doesn't get it though, he doesn't understand how truly unprofessional and immature Wikstrand is in not only the way he handle it but the actual signing of an NHL entry level deal.

If I were the Sens I would do the same thing and make sure he never played a game anywhere until it was in Bingo or even worse, Evansville. Population, Big Ev.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I get it. You don't have to explain. I'm just saying its dumb to think he's lying right now. There is lots of time to make a wrong into a right and there are many past examples.

I didn't say they are currently wrong for not letting him play in Sweden. I just would have agreed to it before the season if that is what he truly wanted. He clearly wanted to be in Sweden and the sens normally accommodate their players. There was nothing to lose by having him play in the shl one more year.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I think there are lots of signs that Wikstrand could be lying. Keep in mind that this is a kid who said during the rookie camp that he was set on making the NHL. When asked about playing in Bingo, he said "we'll talk about it later". No mention of a sick person. Then when he's on his way back, there's suddenly someone who's sick? Sorry, something's fishy there.

Anyway, if his heart isn't set on the tough road to make the NHL, then so long.

NEELY

Mod
Mod
Ev wrote:I get it. You don't have to explain. I'm just saying its dumb to think he's lying right now. There is lots of time to make a wrong into a right and there are many past examples.

I didn't say they are currently wrong for not letting him play in Sweden. I just would have agreed to it before the season if that is what he truly wanted. He clearly wanted to be in Sweden and the sens normally accommodate their players. There was nothing to lose by having him play in the shl one more year.

Lots of signs he is but lets put it this way, say he is lying and it's certain, how low of a human being do you have to be to tell someone with terminal cancer that their family member is sick and expect not only sympathy but at this point he's asking for mercy. Seriously. That's the lowest of the low if he is indeed lying.

NEELY

Mod
Mod
tim1_2 wrote:I think there are lots of signs that Wikstrand could be lying. Keep in mind that this is a kid who said during the rookie camp that he was set on making the NHL. When asked about playing in Bingo, he said "we'll talk about it later". No mention of a sick person. Then when he's on his way back, there's suddenly someone who's sick?  Sorry, something's fishy there.

Anyway, if his heart isn't set on the tough road to make the NHL, then so long.

I would sue for whatever money he took if I was the Sens though.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I'll reserve judgement until the truth comes out.

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I didn't realize he had taken any money yet, but listened to Murray's presser earlier (only read partial transcripts before) and he definitely says that he signed the contract, took the money.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 34 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum