GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 37 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 67]

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star
So how about that Cowen? He looked decent yesterday and was key in the GWG by Ryan.

Incidentally, as his play starts to improve, there's an interesting article about Cowen's trade stock rising because of this contract situation

http://www.tsn.ca/mondaymustread-rare-contract-cap-credit-raises-cowen-s-value-1.428314

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Michallica wrote:So how about that Cowen? He looked decent yesterday and was key in the GWG by Ryan.

Incidentally, as his play starts to improve, there's an interesting article about Cowen's trade stock rising because of this contract situation

http://www.tsn.ca/mondaymustread-rare-contract-cap-credit-raises-cowen-s-value-1.428314
Yeah I read that. Interesting. I would of not thought about it.
I did notice his booming shot on net at one point which reminded me of the lost potential we thought he once had. Maybe a scout sees that and gets some ideas.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Flo The Action wrote:
Michallica wrote:So how about that Cowen? He looked decent yesterday and was key in the GWG by Ryan.

I did notice his booming shot on net at one point which reminded me of the lost potential we thought he once had. Maybe a scout sees that and gets some ideas.

He broke his own shot record at the Sens skills competition. He's got the shot and the size. Maybe a change of scenery really is what the doctor ordered.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

He broke his own shot record at the Sens skills competition. He's got the shot and the size. Maybe a change of scenery really is what the doctor ordered.
You hope not. Sarcasm
But the tools seem to all be there, it's the tool box we all wonder about.
He feels really insecure. If he were to go to a team that gave him more latitude for mistakes but at the price to move his game along who knows... Maybe.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran
Flo The Action wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

You hope not. Sarcasm
He feels really insecure. If he were to go to a team that gave him more latitude for mistakes but at the price to move his game along who knows... Maybe.
The Sens coddled him and he seems to have big sense of entitlement. If he went to a team that have vets who have won he might turn it around, if he went to the Oilers it might be a sit show.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Diddle that cap credit thing is money for us...

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
It's funny that the thing making Cowen an attractive trade option is that he has favourable buyout terms.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:It's funny that the thing making Cowen an attractive trade option is that he has favourable buyout terms.

Yeah I mentioned this weeks ago. His buyout terms were favourable already IMO, without knowing about this cap credit. Besides, I've maintained all along that teams will have interest if they feel they have the time to be a little more patient than Ottawa can afford to be.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Oglethorpe wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

You hope not. Sarcasm
The Sens coddled him and he seems to have big sense of entitlement.  If he went to a team that have vets who have won he might turn it around, if he went to the Oilers it might be a sit show.  

Chicago, LA, NYR seem like natural fits. Even Dallas might be willing to give him a shot. Depth, money, and all have players they can trade back as salary dumps for next season.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Keep Cowen. He's shown well these last few games.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran
Ev wrote:Keep Cowen. He's shown well these last few games.

Umm NO!!!!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Barkov got $5.9 x 6 (in a side story, he thanked Kevin Spacey on Twitter for the good luck -- apparently the Panthers have been handing out a sweatshirt with Spacey's mug on it for game MVPs -- kinda like other teams giving out the hard-hat; hopefully that shirt gets washed a lot).

Barkov is apparently having a heck of a season (that's what I heard when the contract was announced) so I looked it up. 12 goals, 30 points +12 (on a +23 goal differential team).

Then there's Hoffman who has 22 goals, 39 points and is +8 (on a -15 team). For their careers Barkov has 90 points in 163 games, and The Hoff has 93 in 153.

So if Barkov is getting $5.9 x 6 in a tax-free state, and I seem to recall someone talking about giving Hoffman $5.5M. Dream on. If he's not asking for $6+M he should be firing hi agent.

P.S. Read more on the "SpaceyInSpace" shirt here: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/kevin-spacey-space-shirt--panthers-have-nhl-s-weirdest-mvp-award-172842784.html

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:Barkov got $5.9 x 6 (in a side story, he thanked Kevin Spacey on Twitter for the good luck -- apparently the Panthers have been handing out a sweatshirt with Spacey's mug on it for game MVPs -- kinda like other teams giving out the hard-hat; hopefully that shirt gets washed a lot).

Barkov is apparently having a heck of a season (that's what I heard when the contract was announced) so I looked it up.  12 goals, 30 points +12 (on a +23 goal differential team).  

Then there's Hoffman who has 22 goals, 39 points and is +8 (on a -15 team).  For their careers Barkov has 90 points in 163 games, and The Hoff has 93 in 153.

So if Barkov is getting $5.9 x 6 in a tax-free state, and I seem to recall someone talking about giving Hoffman $5.5M.  Dream on.  If he's not  asking for $6+M he should be firing hi agent.

P.S. Read more on the "SpaceyInSpace" shirt here: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/kevin-spacey-space-shirt--panthers-have-nhl-s-weirdest-mvp-award-172842784.html

Hoffman will not get more than Barkov, and he will not get 6. Hoffman is 26 years old. If he wants 6 he can leave today. Not worth it. $5.5 is more than fair. A fair comparable is Matt Moulson who signed a 5x5 two years ago

Barkov's 24 year old season will earn him $6.9 million.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:Barkov got $5.9 x 6 (in a side story, he thanked Kevin Spacey on Twitter for the good luck -- apparently the Panthers have been handing out a sweatshirt with Spacey's mug on it for game MVPs -- kinda like other teams giving out the hard-hat; hopefully that shirt gets washed a lot).

Barkov is apparently having a heck of a season (that's what I heard when the contract was announced) so I looked it up.  12 goals, 30 points +12 (on a +23 goal differential team).  

Then there's Hoffman who has 22 goals, 39 points and is +8 (on a -15 team).  For their careers Barkov has 90 points in 163 games, and The Hoff has 93 in 153.

So if Barkov is getting $5.9 x 6 in a tax-free state, and I seem to recall someone talking about giving Hoffman $5.5M.  Dream on.  If he's not  asking for $6+M he should be firing hi agent.

Hoffman will not get more than Barkov, and he will not get 6. Hoffman is 26 years old. If he wants 6 he can leave today. Not worth it. $5.5 is more than fair. A fair comparable is Matt Moulson who signed a 5x5 two years ago

OK, Barkov's contract buys 3 UFA years, as would a 4 year deal for Hoffman. So apples to apples I'd say $5.9M x 4 is comparable. And given his significantly better offensive stats (over 80% more goals) and comparable defensive ones you'd definitely go up from there.

If you think the Sens can offer him $5.5M as being "more than fair" then I'd say you have a negative bias against him and no need to continue this.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
And, look, I'm not the biggest Hoffman fan here. I didn't think he'd be able to do what he did last year and he's proven me wrong. He appears to be a bit aloof and I am not a fan of the reclusive types (Kessel?) I'm just looking at this very objectively.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:

OK, Barkov's contract buys 3 UFA years, as would a 4 year deal for Hoffman.  So apples to apples I'd say $5.9M x 4 is comparable.  And given his significantly better offensive stats (over 80% more goals) and comparable defensive ones you'd definitely go up from there.

If you think the Sens can offer him $5.5M as being "more than fair" then I'd say you have a negative bias against him and no need to continue this.

How is it not fair? Bobby Ryan got 7 million for years of production .Hoffman has simply not played enough games and is fairly one-dimensional (to the eyes of somebody who would be evaluating what he is worth).

I absolutely think 5.5 is more than fair, and I think he would take it.

Hoffman isn't anywhere near as good defensively as Barkov.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
Barkov is much better two-way than Hoff and projects to be a higher end player, and is 6 years younger. I also think Barkov got overpaid.

I agree with Ev, look at what Bobby Ryan got in his second contract with the ducks and it was around $5.25M. That's about near the ceiling I think the sens would go with hoff on. If he wants $6.5M-$7M, it's time to move his arse.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
So far with the Lebreton leaks, Melnyk's proposal knocks the other one out of the park. The other one has a brewseum and just a lot of random crap. I don't see how the Sens don't win this.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 37 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum