GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 35 of 67]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Lagoon wrote:Finally, right now Team1200 finally clues in to why Karlsson will remain a Sen in my opinion until at least the deadline. Crystal clear. Always has been.

Care to share what they were talking about?

Also, it sounds like Shawn Simpson might have interviewed for the AGM position?  LOL?

Oh, just everything I’ve said since I joined here. The instant Ottawa decided to use this years pick, they also decided to keep Karlsson until around this years deadline. During that time, they have to ability to hope for Karlsson to enjoy the game again, clear his head and want Ottawa to be his forever team.

I want nothing more than this to come to fruition but that is a high risk game to be playing and nothing you hear from management or from rumours of ongoing trade discussions seems to point to this being the scenario the sens are going for.

did Shawn Simpson really interview for the position or are they making fun of him again like last week because they would asked him on the show if he would join the sens front office.

personally I've changed my opinion on Shawn over the last two years. I think he's a decent guy and is no worse a hockey guy to have an eye on things. I'm not sure if he's the best candidates to be AGM but in a front office I could see a position for him.

he certainly gets more flack than he deserves on TSN radio

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran
Flo The Action wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Lagoon wrote:Finally, right now Team1200 finally clues in to why Karlsson will remain a Sen in my opinion until at least the deadline. Crystal clear. Always has been.

Also, it sounds like Shawn Simpson might have interviewed for the AGM position?  LOL?

Oh, just everything I’ve said since I joined here. The instant Ottawa decided to use this years pick, they also decided to keep Karlsson until around this years deadline. During that time, they have to ability to hope for Karlsson to enjoy the game again, clear his head and want Ottawa to be his forever team.

I want nothing more than this to come to fruition but that is a high risk game to be playing and nothing you hear from management or from rumours of ongoing trade discussions seems to point to this being the scenario the sens are going for.

did Shawn Simpson really interview for the position or are they making fun of him again like last week because they would asked him on the show if he would join the sens front office.

personally I've changed my opinion on Shawn over the last two years. I think he's a decent guy and is no worse a hockey guy to have an eye on things. I'm not sure if he's the best candidates to be AGM but in a front office I could see a position for him.

In reply to your entire post, I can respond with this, the media have a job to do. Nothing more and nothing less. Some people believe everything they hear, some think for themselves.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
I like Simmer, but he's probably better in hockey ops than on the air. He can probably make the right decisions but explaining how he arrived at then is not his forte. His biggest contribution would be as an outsider. He's quite blunt in saying that he is not a Sens fan, and he gives his honest assessment on the prospects.

That said, I think they were just joking.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

In reply to your entire post, I can respond with this, the media have a job to do. Nothing more and nothing less. Some people believe everything they hear, some think for themselves.

Yet you have based all your opinions on what your gut is saying. If thinking for yourself means no taking into consideration the available information out there and just sticking to a belief than go ahead but thats not a sign of critical thinking. You can have a different opinion but when it’s not based on facts or actual proof you have no place putting anyone’s opinions down.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
It’s based on a lot more than my gut. I’ve said all my reasons from the start.

I’ve never put anyone’s opinion down. Nice try though.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran
Sens hire 3 new scouts today only 1 of which was part of the sens previously "News Release: #Sens announce three additions to the team’s scouting staff: https://t.co/yF0jQfgU9b https://t.co/krxmbaCrf5"

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Seems like the Sens are really trying to fix their front-office issues. Happy to be reading this news. Where are the other two new hires from?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
One guy was a scout in the Q, the other played division 3 hockey in the Czech republic. And of course the guy who played for Bingo/Belleville.

At this point scout versus no scouts is an upgrade.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Experience has to come from somewhere, right?

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran
I like the looks of them actually bringing In people to hockey ops. Have to believe these are essentials before selling the team since melnyk cannot afford it otherwise

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Disagree. I'd argue the opposite. Why would a new owner want people in positions that he/she may have to fire once they take over? Wouldn't they want to hire their own scouts and personnel? Why would Melnyk be adding to his payroll if he was intending to sell?

Look at it from my angle. $500K saved on a salary equates to the same cost as 4-5 scouts. These particular hires are amateur scouts. Assume each scout costs $100-150K a year including travel and per diems. A quick google search has the average scout making approx. $40-60K a year. I believe this to be low personally so assume it is $100-150K a year. It's peanuts. Especially when Ottawa is supposed to be investing in the future (low salary cap) and may be trading Karlsson/Ryan or even expect insurance to pick up Gaborik's salary.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:It’s based on a lot more than my gut. I’ve said all my reasons from the start.

I’ve never put anyone’s opinion down. Nice try though.

saying some people believe everything they hear is saying what they choose to believe is false.
thats what you're doing. actually you're also being a Richard but thats besides the point.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Disagree. I'd argue the opposite. Why would a new owner want people in positions that he/she may have to fire once they take over? Wouldn't they want to hire their own scouts and personnel? Why would Melnyk be adding to his payroll if he was intending to sell?

Look at it from my angle. $500K saved on a salary equates to the same cost as 4-5 scouts. These particular hires are amateur scouts. Assume each scout costs $100-150K a year including travel and per diems. A quick google search has the average scout making approx. $40-60K a year. I believe this to be low personally so assume it is $100-150K a year. It's peanuts. Especially when Ottawa is supposed to be investing in the future (low salary cap) and may be trading Karlsson/Ryan or even expect insurance to pick up Gaborik's salary.

its no surprise these scouts were hired. the org desperately needs them. I doubt the sens would be playing much more than the top bar of the average for someone with no experience like Flanagan but you can probably ear mark 250,000$ for all three. this team is still run on bear bones.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I can't believe that hiring scouts is a story. Only in the NHL. No fan should know who the scouts of a team are lol.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Ev, are you suggesting this is PR? Appease the fans by showing how you're beefing up hockey ops?

I think we can all agree these steps are necessary. I think it may be a stretch to say that these steps indicate either a sale being imminent or that Melnyk is digging in.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
So the rookie camp is on. Main camp starts in two weeks. Keep an eye on Parker Kelly (co-winner of hardest working prospect at DC) and Aaron Luchuk (who led the OHL in scoring as an overrated). And, of course all the other top prospects.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:Ev, are you suggesting this is PR? Appease the fans by showing how you're beefing up hockey ops?

I think we can all agree these steps are necessary. I think it may be a stretch to say that these steps indicate either a sale being imminent or that Melnyk is digging in.

no sorry I think the team should announce it, but the fans who over analyze every position of the organization is mind boggling. Ask any die hard NFL fan for example, they would have zero clue who their scouts are

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:Ev, are you suggesting this is PR? Appease the fans by showing how you're beefing up hockey ops?

no sorry I think the team should announce it, but the fans who over analyze every position of the organization is mind boggling. Ask any die hard NFL fan for example, they would have zero clue who their scouts are

I completely agree that this sort of announcement should normally not get any rouse out of fans... yet in this market and with ownership it does have more reasons for relevance.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 35 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum