GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 50 of 67]

Hockeyhero22000

Veteran
Veteran
The problem with that scenario is if the sens were smart and some of their decisions have left us wondering if they are smart enough for that

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:The Sens over/under point total has gone up after the Karlsson trade. It was 70.5 pre and now 72.5.

That's because everyone's been betting the under.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
How else can they possibly hit the cap floor without those two without taking money back in a trade. It wouldn't make any sense unless they take players on shorter termed contracts and don't want to hand out 8 year contracts. That is literally the only way.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Sens have $72M or so on their payroll.

Phaneuf, Gaborik, Pageau, MacArthur, Burrows equate to almost $15M of that which the majority is being picked up by insurance or will come off the books shortly.

Sens active roster will be approx. $60M when the ELCs are accounted for in their roster. Only a few players signed past next year. They have a cap floor to hit. The Sens can afford to give both Duchene and Stone $8M x 8 contracts. Ryan will be off the books in a few years, as will Anderson. Ceci by all accounts will be dealt. Lots of money to go around.

Stone is housing Brown, seems to love Tkachuk, and will be our next captain. Duchene is from 3 hours away from here, and seems like a quality human being. I don't see either of them going anywhere else. If the Sens were smart they'd lock him up before the season starts. Would send a great message to the fan base.

I think the actual dollars committed this year is close to 59M.

I would hesitate to offer Duchene and Stone 8 x 8M. If it was me, I would be offering 8 x 7.5M or 4 x 9M hoping they take a shorter term for more cash and the chance at another contract in 5 years . Stone in particular scares me on an 8 year deal.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
tim1_2 wrote:
Ev wrote:The Sens over/under point total has gone up after the Karlsson trade. It was 70.5 pre and now 72.5.

It would actually the opposite if that was the only factor.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:

No, when it goes up that means people are betting the over.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

It would actually the opposite if that was the only factor.

Sorry Lagoon beat me to it.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:The problem with that scenario is if the sens were smart and some of their decisions have left us wondering if they are smart enough for that

So nervous of their decisions.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I don't see how Formenton and Batherson don't force their way onto the lineup - and soon.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
PTFlea wrote:I don't see how Formenton and Batherson don't force their way onto the lineup - and soon.

Yeah that seemed obvious from watching them. The only thing that might keep em from not doin so is size.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Oglethorpe wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Sens have $72M or so on their payroll.

Phaneuf, Gaborik, Pageau, MacArthur, Burrows equate to almost $15M of that which the majority is being picked up by insurance or will come off the books shortly.

Sens active roster will be approx. $60M when the ELCs are accounted for in their roster. Only a few players signed past next year. They have a cap floor to hit. The Sens can afford to give both Duchene and Stone $8M x 8 contracts. Ryan will be off the books in a few years, as will Anderson. Ceci by all accounts will be dealt. Lots of money to go around.

Stone is housing Brown, seems to love Tkachuk, and will be our next captain. Duchene is from 3 hours away from here, and seems like a quality human being. I don't see either of them going anywhere else. If the Sens were smart they'd lock him up before the season starts. Would send a great message to the fan base.

I think the actual dollars committed this year is close to 59M.

I would hesitate to offer Duchene and Stone 8 x 8M.  If it was me, I would be offering 8 x 7.5M or 4 x 9M hoping they take a shorter term for more cash and the chance at another contract in 5 years .   Stone in particular scares me on an 8 year deal.

There is reason to fear a long contract on stone for sure. He’s got history of injuries and you can see how he might go the way of MacArthur. But you take insurance out on him and that financial responsibility gets put on insurance.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I can also see how trading kalrsson could be a good thing. He led on ice by his actions but his actions off the ice weren’t anything special. He’s maybe a little immature for captaincy.

That said it’s the return I’m especially upset about. Winning franchises aren’t built on a bunch of good players but on having a couple/few elite players surrounded by good players.
Ottawa has Chabot that MIGHT be elite one day. Tkachuk could be a star in the making but I don’t think he’ll ever be Elite.
We need Elite level prospects and we got nothing resembling star prospect in that deal.
That’s the problem. And those 1st and second rounders will be late ones.
That’s why I preferred deals with Tampa and Vegas.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I also feel like Dorion probably developed some bad blood with yzerman over a trade.
He obviously put in that scenario for the 1sr rounder put in there fearing that Wilson would turn around and flip Kalrsson to Tampa but why not put that trade protection for all the league? Flip him, give us another 1st? Just seems logical.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:I can also see how trading kalrsson could be a good thing. He led on ice by his actions but his actions off the ice weren’t anything special. He’s maybe a little immature for captaincy.

That said it’s the return I’m especially upset about. Winning franchises aren’t built on a bunch of good players but on having a couple/few elite players surrounded by good players.
Ottawa has Chabot that MIGHT be elite one day. Tkachuk could be a star in the making but I don’t think he’ll ever be Elite.
We need Elite level prospects and we got nothing resembling star prospect in that deal.

I don’t see the 2020 first being a late one

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I can also see how trading kalrsson could be a good thing. He led on ice by his actions but his actions off the ice weren’t anything special. He’s maybe a little immature for captaincy.

I don’t see the 2020 first being a late one

Neither do I.

Shawn Simpson tweeted that Karlsson is going to play out the year in San Jose. In the 2019/20 season, SJ will be without Karlsson, Thornton and probably Pavelski. Not to mention Brent Burns will be turning 35 that year. Those are three pretty big names to be losing and Burns will eventually start losing a step. They may not make the playoffs and are clearly all-in this year.

People need to chill regarding this trade. I know some are butt-hurt by it but with a lock-out potentially coming 8 years of Karlsson @ $11M per season means we'd be potentially paying him until he's 38 years old. Not worth it!!! 4 players of which 2 seem like decent prospects, a 3rd line center who doesn't take penalties and will play 2nd line minutes this year, and a depth d-man + probably a mid 1st rd pick and a 2nd is a good return for 1 year of Karl.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Also don't underestimate how good Batherson and Formenton will be.

Hoffman and Karlsson were fast skaters but never did we hear this much about how fast a particular player was. Formenton will be lights out if his hands can keep up with his feet and he adds a bit of size.

As for Batherson the guy can score goals. Watching his highlight reel from last year, he probably could have had another 6-7 goals on breakaways alone. Dorion and Boucher, from what I heard on the radio, think he's the most talented out of all the prospects.

Tkachuk will never be a Crosby. Those expecting him to be will be disappointed. He will put up more points than his brother so 60+ points a season is pretty good for someone of his skillset.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
I am also looking forward to a powerplay that doesn't rely on a point-shot or a one-timer from the sideboards every play. I think we will see a much more dynamic offense this year that relies more heavily on the forwards than on shots from the point.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
TGOR also seems to think White is the odd-man-out though I think Batherson will ultimately start this year in Belleville.

Dzingel-Duchene-White/Batherson
Tkachuk-Tierney-Stone
Boedker-Smith-Ryan
Paajarvi-Chlapik-Pyatt

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 50 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum