GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19

Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 35 ... 39  Next

Go down  Message [Page 32 of 39]

466Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 32 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Mon May 11, 2020 2:08 pm

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran
Nope.

467Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 32 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Fri May 15, 2020 10:47 am

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran
A June draft prior to seasons end is pretty much dead. It’s a logistical nightmare either way with most scouts contracts ending June 30th.

468Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 32 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Fri May 15, 2020 11:06 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
I read the same thing. It's not all bad news. Personally I don't care about the draft being in June, I care about knowing where the Sens will draft.

Like I said before, I believe this is all tied to the return-to-play announcement which will hopefully be sooner than later, with hockey returning in July. 24 team playoff, 7 team lottery.

469Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 32 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Fri May 15, 2020 11:20 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:A June draft prior to seasons end is pretty much dead. It’s a logistical nightmare either way with most scouts contracts ending June 30th.

If they play hockey in July or August, that means player contracts would be extended past June 30. Wouldn't the same apply to scouts?

470Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 32 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Fri May 15, 2020 1:26 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:A June draft prior to seasons end is pretty much dead. It’s a logistical nightmare either way with most scouts contracts ending June 30th.

If they play hockey in July or August, that means player contracts would be extended past June 30. Wouldn't the same apply to scouts?

Ahahah probably not if Eugene can opt out. They could do the draft without scouts (although not ideal) because their draft boards have to be pretty much set at this point.

471Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 32 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Mon May 18, 2020 10:59 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Just having some fun here. Don't know how Melnyk thinks he can ice a predominantly junior roster with a lot of money off the books this off-season. My guess on what the Sens look like given Melnyk's comments:

Tkachuk-Tierney-Batherson
Ryan-Byfield-Duclair
C.Brown-White-Raymond/Stutzle
Formenton-Anisimov-Norris
Extra: Balcers

Missing notables: L. Brown, Balcers, Abramov, Chlapik, Paul. Pinto

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Zub
Boro-Brannstrom
Extra: Reilly

Missing: No vet RHD, Lajoie, Thomson, Englund, Jaros, JBD

I can also see the Sens trading their NYI pick + with NJ to move up in the draft. NJ has Vancouver and Phoenix 1st rd pick, and no 2nds. If Braden Schneider is available, my guess is the Sens go after him with their 3rd 1st.

I admittedly have no idea what the Sens should do with Logan Brown

I am also more excited to see Formenton in the NHL that Batherson. I am probably alone on this one, but Formenton impresses me more. Played in all scenarios and put up excellent numbers without having played with Brown, Batherson, Norris, and Paul as much in the minors

472Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 32 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Mon May 18, 2020 12:47 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Just having some fun here. Don't know how Melnyk thinks he can ice a predominantly junior roster with a lot of money off the books this off-season. My guess on what the Sens look like given Melnyk's comments:

Tkachuk-Tierney-Batherson
Ryan-Byfield-Duclair
C.Brown-White-Raymond/Stutzle
Formenton-Anisimov-Norris
Extra: Balcers

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Zub
Boro-Brannstrom
Extra: Reilly

I can also see the Sens trading their NYI pick + with NJ to move up in the draft. NJ has Vancouver and Phoenix 1st rd pick, and no 2nds. If Braden Schneider is available, my guess is the Sens go after him with their 3rd 1st.  

I admittedly have no idea what the Sens should do with Logan Brown

I am also more excited to see Formenton in the NHL that Batherson. I am probably alone on this one, but Formenton impresses me more. Played in all scenarios and put up excellent numbers without having played with Brown, Batherson, Norris, and Paul as much in the minors

Let's put some numbers up there:

Tkachuk (.925)-Tierney (3.1)-Batherson(.737)
-- giving Tierney a small raise from his $2.93M
Ryan(7.25)-Byfield (.95)-Duclair (2.5)
-- giving Byfield $25K more than Brady (2nd overall vs 4th but cap going down)
-- probably giving Duke an over-exaggerated raise given he's still RFA)
C.Brown(2.5)-White (4.75)-Raymond/Stutzle(.925)
-- modest raise for Brown ($2.1M to $2.5M but, again, the cap is going down)
Formenton(.747)-Anisimov (4.55)-Norris (.925)
Extra: Balcers (.925)

Chabot (8)-Zaitsev (4.5)
Wolanin (.9)-Zub (.925)
Boro (2)-Brannstrom (.863)
Extra: Reilly (1.5)

Nilsson (2.6) - Hogberg (.7)

Gaborik (4.875)
Phaneuf (1.354)

Adding it all together: $59M plus change. The floor was $62M last year and the cap is expected to go down (but no guarantee). So this is well within the realms of possibility. Personally, if we don't land Lafreniere I don't see any 1st rounders making the NHL roster for more than a handful of games (Byfield is young, large body players often need a bit more time; Raymond needs to add strength, Stutzle may be ready but I don't think we get him). On the other hand I think Nick Paul has shown that he's ready to continue. Won't be a big difference to the cap one way or the other, but Paul will drive it up a bit.

473Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 32 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Mon May 18, 2020 1:09 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Fair points but if we take Byfield I do think he plays on the NHL . Sens need to sell tickets. All excellent points otherwise

474Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 32 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Mon May 18, 2020 1:17 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Rossi is the most NHL ready after Lafreniere. I haven’t seen anyone on this site that recognizes his stock yet. Byfield will get games, but he will be sent back.

475Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 32 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Mon May 18, 2020 1:29 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Logan brown remains the biggest question mark to me. He's either a #1 or #2 or he's not in the league. And his speed and intensity are non-existent. I fear he could be dealt as part of a draft package for picks or packaged with picks for a roster player. Barkov is a player I've always liked. I wonder if the sens would have interest bringing him in for Brown +++

476Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 32 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Mon May 18, 2020 2:27 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
I drool over Barkov.

477Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 32 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Mon May 18, 2020 3:15 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Lagoon wrote:I drool over Barkov.

He's only 24 too. And on a super friendly contract. Florida isn't going anywhere with their garbage team and that God awful Bob contract.

I'd trade to add him for sure

478Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 32 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Mon May 18, 2020 4:19 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Fair points but if we take Byfield I do think he plays on the NHL . Sens need to sell tickets. All excellent points otherwise

479Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 32 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Mon May 18, 2020 4:20 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:

He's only 24 too. And on a super friendly contract. Florida isn't going anywhere with their garbage team and that God awful Bob contract.

i don't see a world where Barkov is traded. They have no appetite for a rebuild or retool. they will try to add to make the playoffs.

480Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 32 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Mon May 18, 2020 4:20 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Does anyone have access to the Athletics?
there's a comparison article on the sens prospects.

481Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 32 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Mon May 18, 2020 4:23 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
wprager wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Fair points but if we take Byfield I do think he plays on the NHL . Sens need to sell tickets. All excellent points otherwise

Not sure what happened to the text I typed in.

Weird. What I (thought I) said was I see your point. Three first rounders and none of them with a regular shift won't help sell tickets.

482Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 32 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Mon May 18, 2020 5:53 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I can also see the Sens trading their NYI pick + with NJ to move up in the draft. NJ has Vancouver and Phoenix 1st rd pick, and no 2nds. If Braden Schneider is available, my guess is the Sens go after him with their 3rd 1st.  

I’m a big Schneider fan and it will be interesting to see how early he goes. Dmen won’t be the highest priority when there are so many elite forwards but there is definitely a tier of Dman that most have no idea how they will come off the board. After Drysdale and Sanderson, there are a huge number of Dmen that could go at any moment. Guhle, Andrae, Kleven, Grans, Wallinder, Schneider, lots.

Forgive the length at what this might turn out to be. I’m not one of the ones that think Schneider should be a first rounder (he will be) because I although I think he is a safe NHLer and he is one of the easier ones to know what his role will be and how he will do it. Defence is his claim to fame. The way Schneider waits for plays to develop and then suffocates not just the initial play but also secondary and tertiary options as well. That’s what he does best. His transition game is superior and he controls it with a pass or rush at a very high rate of attempts and. He rarely just dumps it out. To be exact, 86% of his exits are controlled and that is 42% above Wheat Kings average last season. He does it himself basically, you can blame most of this of the WK’s. Don’t get too excited at how often he tries, because only 43 percent of breakout passes hit their target — scoring in the bottom-third of CHL defencemen (both raw and relative to team). There are two primary issues with Schneider’s breakout decision-making, both based on his ability to handle forechecking pressure. First, Schneider stops moving his feet and hurries his decisions when pushed to the backhand, which shows up in the inaccuracy of his passes in this situation. Second, the slick short-range passes to the interior are easily read and intercepted. He’s just a solid two-way guy with a much better defensive mind and skill set.

483Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 32 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Mon May 18, 2020 6:01 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Flo The Action wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:

i don't see a world where Barkov is traded. They have no appetite for a rebuild or retool. they will try to add to make the playoffs.

I don’t think so either but sometimes I come here for fantastical pleasure. Barkov on the Sens gave me that until you unplugged the fax machine.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 32 of 39]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 35 ... 39  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum