GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19

Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 39  Next

Go down  Message [Page 33 of 39]

481Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 33 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Mon May 18, 2020 4:23 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
wprager wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Fair points but if we take Byfield I do think he plays on the NHL . Sens need to sell tickets. All excellent points otherwise

Not sure what happened to the text I typed in.

Weird. What I (thought I) said was I see your point. Three first rounders and none of them with a regular shift won't help sell tickets.

482Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 33 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Mon May 18, 2020 5:53 pm

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I can also see the Sens trading their NYI pick + with NJ to move up in the draft. NJ has Vancouver and Phoenix 1st rd pick, and no 2nds. If Braden Schneider is available, my guess is the Sens go after him with their 3rd 1st.  

I’m a big Schneider fan and it will be interesting to see how early he goes. Dmen won’t be the highest priority when there are so many elite forwards but there is definitely a tier of Dman that most have no idea how they will come off the board. After Drysdale and Sanderson, there are a huge number of Dmen that could go at any moment. Guhle, Andrae, Kleven, Grans, Wallinder, Schneider, lots.

Forgive the length at what this might turn out to be. I’m not one of the ones that think Schneider should be a first rounder (he will be) because I although I think he is a safe NHLer and he is one of the easier ones to know what his role will be and how he will do it. Defence is his claim to fame. The way Schneider waits for plays to develop and then suffocates not just the initial play but also secondary and tertiary options as well. That’s what he does best. His transition game is superior and he controls it with a pass or rush at a very high rate of attempts and. He rarely just dumps it out. To be exact, 86% of his exits are controlled and that is 42% above Wheat Kings average last season. He does it himself basically, you can blame most of this of the WK’s. Don’t get too excited at how often he tries, because only 43 percent of breakout passes hit their target — scoring in the bottom-third of CHL defencemen (both raw and relative to team). There are two primary issues with Schneider’s breakout decision-making, both based on his ability to handle forechecking pressure. First, Schneider stops moving his feet and hurries his decisions when pushed to the backhand, which shows up in the inaccuracy of his passes in this situation. Second, the slick short-range passes to the interior are easily read and intercepted. He’s just a solid two-way guy with a much better defensive mind and skill set.

483Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 33 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Mon May 18, 2020 6:01 pm

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran
Flo The Action wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Lagoon wrote:I drool over Barkov.

He's only 24 too. And on a super friendly contract. Florida isn't going anywhere with their garbage team and that God awful Bob contract.

I'd trade to add him for sure

i don't see a world where Barkov is traded. They have no appetite for a rebuild or retool. they will try to add to make the playoffs.

I don’t think so either but sometimes I come here for fantastical pleasure. Barkov on the Sens gave me that until you unplugged the fax machine.

484Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 33 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Mon May 18, 2020 6:02 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Lagoon wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I can also see the Sens trading their NYI pick + with NJ to move up in the draft. NJ has Vancouver and Phoenix 1st rd pick, and no 2nds. If Braden Schneider is available, my guess is the Sens go after him with their 3rd 1st.  

I’m a big Schneider fan and it will be interesting to see how early he goes. Dmen won’t be the highest priority when there are so many elite forwards but there is definitely a tier of Dman that most have no idea how they will come off the board. After Drysdale and Sanderson, there are a huge number of Dmen that could go at any moment. Guhle, Andrae, Kleven, Grans, Wallinder, Schneider, lots.

Forgive the length at what this might turn out to be. I’m not one of the ones that think Schneider should be a first rounder (he will be) because I although I think he is a safe NHLer and he is one of the easier ones to know what his role will be and how he will do it. Defence is his claim to fame. The way Schneider waits for plays to develop and then suffocates not just the initial play but also secondary and tertiary options as well. That’s what he does best. His transition game is superior and he controls it with a pass or rush at a very high rate of attempts and. He rarely just dumps it out. To be exact, 86% of his exits are controlled and that is 42% above Wheat Kings average last season. He does it himself basically, you can blame most of this of the WK’s. Don’t get too excited at how often he tries, because only 43 percent of breakout passes hit their target — scoring in the bottom-third of CHL defencemen (both raw and relative to team). There are two primary issues with Schneider’s breakout decision-making, both based on his ability to handle forechecking pressure. First, Schneider stops moving his feet and hurries his decisions when pushed to the backhand, which shows up in the inaccuracy of his passes in this situation. Second, the slick short-range passes to the interior are easily read and intercepted. He’s just a solid two-way guy with a much better defensive mind and skill set.

Ottawa need a big shutdown dman. All their prospects are PMD. They need a guy who can play in the top four, hit, and clear out the front of the net. Similar to what Methot did.

485Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 33 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Mon May 18, 2020 8:38 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Lagoon wrote:

Ottawa need a big shutdown dman. All their prospects are PMD. They need a guy who can play in the top four, hit, and clear out the front of the net. Similar to what Methot did.

Well, we all know they aren’t signing an impact player or trading for one unless that player is trading clause free. I just think you shouldn’t use a 1st rounder on a limited upside Dman. Especially in this draft full of game breakers.

486Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 33 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Wed May 20, 2020 3:07 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Just having some fun here. Don't know how Melnyk thinks he can ice a predominantly junior roster with a lot of money off the books this off-season. My guess on what the Sens look like given Melnyk's comments:

Tkachuk-Tierney-Batherson
Ryan-Byfield-Duclair
C.Brown-White-Raymond/Stutzle
Formenton-Anisimov-Norris
Extra: Balcers

Missing notables: L. Brown, Balcers, Abramov, Chlapik, Paul. Pinto

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Zub
Boro-Brannstrom
Extra: Reilly

Missing: No vet RHD, Lajoie, Thomson, Englund, Jaros, JBD

I can also see the Sens trading their NYI pick + with NJ to move up in the draft. NJ has Vancouver and Phoenix 1st rd pick, and no 2nds. If Braden Schneider is available, my guess is the Sens go after him with their 3rd 1st.  

I admittedly have no idea what the Sens should do with Logan Brown

I am also more excited to see Formenton in the NHL that Batherson. I am probably alone on this one, but Formenton impresses me more. Played in all scenarios and put up excellent numbers without having played with Brown, Batherson, Norris, and Paul as much in the minors

Brushed over this projected lineup last time because I didn’t really care. Got time today so went and looked. Not a fan. You completely missed a very underrated, which is further proven by you not even mentioning him, Jayce Hawryluk. He is very good. Unbelievable add by Dorion. He drives play, is all over the puck, is a pain in the Donkey and he had better be qualified and retained. Byfield won’t stick in my opinion if we get him. Rossi is the guy we will hopefully draft with our 2nd of 2. Him or Raymond. Only Rossi and Lafreniere have what it takes to make the jump.

I don’t like your lineup, but my signature stands for itself.

487Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 33 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Wed May 20, 2020 3:42 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Lagoon wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Just having some fun here. Don't know how Melnyk thinks he can ice a predominantly junior roster with a lot of money off the books this off-season. My guess on what the Sens look like given Melnyk's comments:

Ryan-Byfield-Duclair

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Zub
Boro-Brannstrom

I can also see the Sens trading their NYI pick + with NJ to move up in the draft. NJ has Vancouver and Phoenix 1st rd pick, and no 2nds. If Braden Schneider is available, my guess is the Sens go after him with their 3rd 1st.  

I am also more excited to see Formenton in the NHL that Batherson. I am probably alone on this one, but Formenton impresses me more. Played in all scenarios and put up excellent numbers without having played with Brown, Batherson, Norris, and Paul as much in the minors

Brushed over this projected lineup last time because I didn’t really care. Got time today so went and looked. Not a fan. You completely missed a very underrated, which is further proven by you not even mentioning him, Jayce Hawryluk. He is very good. Unbelievable add by Dorion. He drives play, is all over the puck, is a pain in the Donkey and he had better be qualified and retained. Byfield won’t stick in my opinion if we get him. Rossi is the guy we will hopefully draft with our 2nd of 2. Him or Raymond. Only Rossi and Lafreniere have what it takes to make the jump.

In this case you should change back to differ

488Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 33 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Wed May 20, 2020 4:00 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
i'd be stunned if Byfield wasn't in the NHL tbh

489Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 33 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Wed May 20, 2020 4:53 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Sounds like a poll situation is brewing.  Do you think Byfield will be a full-time NHL player this coming season?

And I've completely forgotten how to do that.

Edit: I believe the option got adding a poll is available only when creating a new thread and not a post

490Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 33 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Wed May 20, 2020 5:38 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Ev wrote:i'd be stunned if Byfield wasn't in the NHL tbh

He’s not ready Ev. No way. He will get his taste, that’s it in my opinion.

491Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 33 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Wed May 20, 2020 5:41 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Lagoon wrote:

Ryan-Byfield-Duclair

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Zub
Boro-Brannstrom

In this case you should change back to differ

I can admit that I watched him more with Florida than I did with him in Ottawa. Did you guys not like his game when he came here? I maybe only saw two Ottawa games with him.

492Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 33 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Wed May 20, 2020 6:53 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
I don't think I watched him much. Maybe watched 1 game after the deadline. I recall fans liking him but between him and formenton or Paul on L4 my preference is pretty clear

493Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 33 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Wed May 20, 2020 7:06 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
That said we do need role players

494Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 33 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Wed May 20, 2020 8:14 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Hawryluk is probably only 24. That’s an asset I want to keep. His role is known, it is a good one and he’s under control and cheap.

495Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 33 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Wed May 20, 2020 8:49 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Also, I’m fairly convinced that we will draft 2 of Lafreniere, Byfield, Rossi and Raymond. We have only one European scout on our entire payroll and he was no doubt watching Raymond quite a bit. Raymond didn’t receive much playing time but it is rare for players his age to get any where he played. In case anyone was wondering, the average for NHL teams is 4 European scouts. Some teams have six. We have one, which is lowest in the league. Anders Ostberg based in Sweden is our guy. Ottawa may want to make him feel like he’s valued at some point and draft from his recommendation. Having only 1 European scout might explain why only 5 of our last 18 picks have been from EU. Only Anaheim, Calgary, Florida, Minnesota, Philly and Vegas have drafted less from overseas than Ottawa over the same metric.

496Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 33 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Wed May 20, 2020 10:02 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:Also, I’m fairly convinced that we will draft 2 of Lafreniere, Byfield, Rossi and Raymond. We have only one European scout on our entire payroll and he was no doubt watching Raymond quite a bit. Raymond didn’t receive much playing time but it is rare for players his age to get any where he played. In case anyone was wondering, the average for NHL teams is 4 European scouts. Some teams have six. We have one, which is lowest in the league. Anders Ostberg based in Sweden is our guy. Ottawa may want to make him feel like he’s valued at some point and draft from his recommendation. Having only 1 European scout might explain why only 5 of our last 18 picks have been from EU. Only Anaheim, Calgary, Florida, Minnesota, Philly and Vegas have drafted less from overseas than Ottawa over the same metric.

don't we have a Russian scout anymore? we did for a while (not that that has translated into much Russian drafting).

it's a sad state of affair when we've gone on such an important rebuild while cheapening on our scouts.

Also, nothing stating that our scout will see Raymond as a good use of high draft picks. That's an opinion, not a guarantee.
we probably won't find out for quite a while it seems.

497Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 33 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Wed May 20, 2020 11:46 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:
Lagoon wrote:Also, I’m fairly convinced that we will draft 2 of Lafreniere, Byfield, Rossi and Raymond. We have only one European scout on our entire payroll and he was no doubt watching Raymond quite a bit. Raymond didn’t receive much playing time but it is rare for players his age to get any where he played. In case anyone was wondering, the average for NHL teams is 4 European scouts. Some teams have six. We have one, which is lowest in the league. Anders Ostberg based in Sweden is our guy. Ottawa may want to make him feel like he’s valued at some point and draft from his recommendation. Having only 1 European scout might explain why only 5 of our last 18 picks have been from EU. Only Anaheim, Calgary, Florida, Minnesota, Philly and Vegas have drafted less from overseas than Ottawa over the same metric.

don't we have a Russian scout anymore? we did for a while (not that that has translated into much Russian drafting).

it's a sad state of affair when we've gone on such an important rebuild while cheapening on our scouts.

Also, nothing stating that our scout will see Raymond as a good use of high draft picks. That's an opinion, not a guarantee.
we probably won't find out for quite a while it seems.

I'm not totally convinced that in-person scouting is as important as it used to be, but the caveat there is that you also have smart management that are delving into analytics. We don't scout and we don't do analytics. It's too bad, but of course it's all tied back to Eugene.

Oh, and I discovered something else about Eugene...remember when he promised to pay all Senators arena staff for events scheduled through, whatever it was, April or May? Well most of the arena staff are employed by Aramark, and so he didn't pay 'em a cent.

498Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 33 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Thu May 21, 2020 1:56 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
That was expected. They are not Sens employees and he didn’t promise to pay them. The Sens employees did get paid as I know an usher. It’s up to Aramark to pay the rest (frankly I don’t think they should be paid. It’s what CERB is for).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 33 of 39]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 39  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum