GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down  Message [Page 19 of 21]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:Ahhhhh Silfverberg....if only we hadn't made that ill-advised Bobby Ryan trade.

Really? he's so far down on the guys who we've traded in the past lol

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran
It is certainly part of our history of too quickly trading prospects that don’t come out of the gate as they most likely unrealistically expected. That to me is part of the major pro scouting issue. Also an unwillingness to want to pay RFA’s and would rather save money with term like Brassard was.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Bad trades: Duchene, Stone, Zib, Spezza, Heatley
Good trades: Dzingel,, Duchene, Karlsson, Pageau, Pyatt,

Literally no one wanted spezza, what were we to do?

And if literally no one wanted spezza, you can double down on heatley. Slow, beat up at that point and a nmc, we're lucky we got what we did.

I dunno about revisionist history in hockey trades, it can be dangerous. At the time, I was very down on zibanejad, didnt see any future where he'd be as good as he is. With work ethic issues too, but as time goes by, I think probably lagoon and others are right in that we should be careful trading prospects. Better they bust here than flourish somewhere else.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
tim1_2 wrote:Ahhhhh Silfverberg....if only we hadn't made that ill-advised Bobby Ryan trade.

Meh.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:

Yeah, I know. I just mentioned it because Silf scored against us last night. I really like him. I don't like revisionist history either...but trading for Bobby lead to his terrible contract, which really likely doesn't even matter because I think the team still would've wound up pretty much where we are now.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:
Ev wrote:

Yeah, I know.  I just mentioned it because Silf scored against us last night.  I really like him.  I don't like revisionist history either...but trading for Bobby lead to his terrible contract, which really likely doesn't even matter because I think the team still would've wound up pretty much where we are now.

True. I think a Bobby trade is exactly what we should be doing this offseason.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Ev wrote:

Yeah, I know.  I just mentioned it because Silf scored against us last night.  I really like him.  I don't like revisionist history either...but trading for Bobby lead to his terrible contract, which really likely doesn't even matter because I think the team still would've wound up pretty much where we are now.

True. I think a Bobby trade is exactly what we should be doing this offseason.

Yeah, for sure.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
How good would it be for Ottawa if they were able to trade Ryan to "somewhere he wants to go" and they retain 2/3 of his salary (helps the Sens hit the cap floor). I think it would look good for the organization from a goodwill perspective. You can probably get a 3rd for him if you eat most of his salary.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:How good would it be for Ottawa if they were able to trade Ryan to "somewhere he wants to go" and they retain 2/3 of his salary (helps the Sens hit the cap floor). I think it would look good for the organization from a goodwill perspective. You can probably get a 3rd for him if you eat most of his salary.

...and that would never happen. we aren't eating that much salary. Melnyk would never ok it.
i doubt there would be much interest from clubs anyways. maybe next year if he really turns a corner.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Why not just keep him? He looks good out there, finally clean, a nice story...

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
By a Bobby trade, I meant a trade like when we got him lol

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:By a Bobby trade, I meant a trade like when we got him lol

Yeah I figured that's what you meant. I dunno who could reasonably be available via trade this summer, but we'll see what Dorion has up his sleeve.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
The trade was a kick in the pants for ZBad. If he had stayed in Ottawa it is likely he would have continued along the same trajectory of good, but not good enough.

Last edited by wprager on Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:The trade was a kick in the pants for ZBad. If he had stayed in Ottawa it is likely he would have continued along the same trajectory of good, but not good enough.

yes and if you knew anything about him while he was here, he was nothing like he is now as a person either. The trade was garbage now, but he needed to be moved to another team to enjoy this success. He's not a 100 point forward though.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
amidst all of this, colin white has looked great the last half-dozen games

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Artyom Zub is close to making a decision on where to sign. Ottawa is one of two teams left.

Hope everyone is doing well.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Not the best time to start a new job but I had no choice. First week I spent in the office setting up my environment and running various tutorials. Monday I drive in to pick up my PC, monitor and various cables and set myself up on the basement. Since then all I've done is more tutorials. Still have not had the architecture overview that I expected in the first couple of days.

The old classic "we're so busy that we need to hire someone to help out but we're way too busy to on-boards them properly".

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
By the way, this is a good site for tracking Covid-19 starts:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/canada/

There link above is soecific to Canada but you can also check out other countries or see the attested stats.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 19 of 21]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum