GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Go down  Message [Page 21 of 22]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:So apparently "Tiger King" on Netflix is the show taking the coronavirus outbreak out of the spotlight. I'll have to check it out.

It's crazy in all the best ways.

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran
And in another yet to be told negative story about the Sens this year, is that due to the Coronavirus, the Sens scouting for this upcoming draft will be the worst of all 31 teams without question. The shutdown of all leagues, cancellation of the Memorial Cup, tossed late season international tournaments, basically all scouting opportunities had to have happened already. The Sens didn’t have the scouting manpower to have all the proper boots on the ground like every other team. Our bare bones scouting staff will have missed a majority of prospects live games. Even with all the picks we have, unless we are on the right side of the lottery, I think in 5-10 years we will look back, instead of seeing what should have been a franchise altering draft for all the right reasons, we will see some glaring missteps from our 2020 draft. The Sens would be will served to just follow consensus draft boards this year.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:Gordie Wilson (colour guy) has Covid-19.

And my first thought was "Why couldn't it have been Melnyk?"

It’s not too late.... Laughing3

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:So apparently "Tiger King" on Netflix is the show taking the coronavirus outbreak out of the spotlight. I'll have to check it out.

It's crazy in all the best ways.

I binged that thing in a day.

If someone would have written a script like that no one would have thought it believable

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:And in another yet to be told negative story about the Sens this year, is that due to the Coronavirus, the Sens scouting for this upcoming draft will be the worst of all 31 teams without question. The shutdown of all leagues, cancellation of the Memorial Cup, tossed late season international tournaments, basically all scouting opportunities had to have happened already. The Sens didn’t have the scouting manpower to have all the proper boots on the ground like every other team. Our bare bones scouting staff will have missed a majority of prospects live games. Even with all the picks we have, unless we are on the right side of the lottery, I think in 5-10 years we will look back, instead of seeing what should have been a franchise altering draft for all the right reasons, we will see some glaring missteps from our 2020 draft. The Sens would be will served to just follow consensus draft boards this year.

If that’s true and have half a brain they will also pay independent scouts to add to their analysis.
I don’t know that I’m too worried. It’s true that the end of the hockey season early will dampen results but I think all teams will fall pray to that.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Teams with full scouting teams make mistakes every year in all rounds. All if those superstar players picked in the 6th told means all 30 years - including the one that ultimately picked him - made a mistake in the previous rounds. It's a crapshoot. They should raise the draft after to 19 (20 for goalies) again it would be a little better.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I'm not too concerned about the missed scouting opportunities. I'm more concerned about the NHL doing something dumb and not keeping the draft lottery as-is with the current standings.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:Teams with full scouting teams make mistakes every year in all rounds. All if those superstar players picked in the 6th told means all 30 years - including the one that ultimately picked him - made a mistake in the previous rounds. It's a crapshoot. They should raise the draft after to 19 (20 for goalies) again it would be a little better.

I totally agree. You shouldn’t be able to draft 18 year olds passed the first round. It would change a lot of things.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:I'm not too concerned about the missed scouting opportunities.  I'm more concerned about the NHL doing something dumb and not keeping the draft lottery as-is with the current standings.

I don’t know that they really could get away with that. They might include more teams into a playoff chase though. Which wouldn’t affect us at all

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Whatever they do, if they decide to play more games they we will likely see more games for every team. This is all about bringing more revenues in. Most team is kind of desperate for it right now. Another reason I don’t see them lowering the amount of playoff games played. Gate revenues

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Aiming for July return with playoffs in the fall

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Flo The Action wrote:

I don’t know that they really could get away with that. They might include more teams into a playoff chase though. Which wouldn’t affect us at all

We have the Islanders' 1st round pick. They are 1 point out. Unlikely they will not be given *some*
opportunity to get in because they hold 2 games in hand. If they simply go by winning percentage they pass a bunch of jerks and get an opportunity to worsen our pick.

So it does matter.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
wprager wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

We have the Islanders' 1st round pick. They are 1 point out. Unlikely they will not be given *some*
opportunity to get in because they hold 2 games in hand. If they simply go by winning percentage they pass a bunch of jerks and get an opportunity to worsen our pick.

So it does matter.

I read some sort of 24 team playoff with draft odds remaining unchanged

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

So it does matter.

yeah you're right. i meant more in terms of our top 2 picks but yes it does stand to give us different standings for our 3rd 1st rounder.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
imagine how good the playoffs would be with everyone healthy

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:imagine how good the playoffs would be with everyone healthy

Except everyone's going to be super-rusty. Most of the players aren't even really skating right now because all the rinks are closed. They'll definitely run some sort of mini-training camp, but it won't be enough.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
tim1_2 wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:imagine how good the playoffs would be with everyone healthy

Except everyone's going to be super-rusty.  Most of the players aren't even really skating right now because all the rinks are closed.  They'll definitely run some sort of mini-training camp, but it won't be enough.  

Naw I think everyone is in the same boat right now. Maybe they have 3-4 reg season tune-up games and then straight to the playoffs.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Aspirot signs a 3 year ELC with the sens. I guess he went from being an AHL prospect to an NHL one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 21 of 22]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum