GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Go down  Message [Page 32 of 33]

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
If the Sens want a d-man so badly they can overpay and get Torey Krug, Tyson Barrie, TJ Brodie or Justin Braun who are all UFAs and RHD. They could turn around and give Travis Hamonic a three year deal to play in the top-four. There are actually a ton of UFA RHD and the Sens need to hit the floor.

But I maintain they may look at a package of picks and mid-level prospects to bring in someone in on contract from a team against the cap. Maybe someone like Troy Stecher makes sense for Ottawa.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
And I am still of the opinion that players will start wanting to sign here because of the talent, not because of the management. I am not saying star players like Panarin but players who want to play with the Chabots and Tkachuks of the team

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:And I am still of the opinion that players will start wanting to sign here because of the talent, not because of the management. I am not saying star players like Panarin but players who want to play with the Chabots and Tkachuks of the team

Gotta disagree there. Everyone knows Melnyk doesn't have the financial resources to build a true contender. Plus we're a high-tax location as far as NHL cities go. Don't see it.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
The reports of Melnyk's financial demise may be somewhat exaggerated.  To be perfectly blunt, we don't know (although there's lots of circumstantial evidence, like bouncing checks paying off having debts).

Found this: https://www.smartbusinessdealmakers.com/articles/topic/neuro-kinetics-purchases-neurolign/

Neurolign is a company developing diagnostic equipment for neurological conditions, including concussions. Imagine a device which analyses various data (including eyescans) and quickly diagnoses concussion.  I could think of a couple leagues that wild be very interested in this tech (if it works). I could see every highschool, college and University buying one or more units as well.  The fact that they bought another company is positive, imo.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
wprager wrote:The reports of Melnyk's financial demise may be somewhat exaggerated.  To be perfectly blunt, we don't know (although there's lots of circumstantial evidence, like bouncing checks paying off having debts).

Found this: https://www.smartbusinessdealmakers.com/articles/topic/neuro-kinetics-purchases-neurolign/

Neurolign is a company developing diagnostic equipment for neurological conditions, including concussions. Imagine a device which analyses various data (including eyescans) and quickly diagnoses concussion.  I could think of a couple leagues that wild be very interested in this tech (if it works). I could see every highschool, college and University buying one or more units as well.  The fact that they bought another company is positive, imo.

His financial woes are primarily based on speculation. From Investopedia (Feb 19, 2020):

Eugene Melnyk has an estimated net worth of $1.2 billion. He’s not a native Barbadian but instead has joint Ukrainian and Canadian citizenship. He was born in Ukraine in 1959 before emigrating to Canada, eventually founding the medical publishing firm Trimel Corp. In 1989, Melnyk sold Trimel to Thompson Publications and launched Biovail Corporation, which produced specialty pharmaceutical products.

As chairman and CEO of Biovail, Melnyk grew company revenue from a modest $14.6 million in 1995 to more than $770 million by 2006. Melnyk's business successes won him some fame in Canada, particularly his ability to reinvent drugs with expiring or expired patents.

After retiring from the Biovail board in 2007, Eugene Melnyk founded another company, Trimel Pharmaceuticals. The second Trimel specializes in drugs for male and female dysfunction and certain respiratory disorders.

Seems Eugene is doing pretty well for himself. Too bad he's an a$$ hole

Melnyk is best known for his 2003 purchase of the Ottawa Senators, a professional hockey team in the NHL. Melnyk bought the team, and its arena, Corel Centre, from bankruptcy proceedings. A huge sports fan, Melnyk has repeatedly stated he has no intention of ever selling the team or giving up even partial ownership.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
There's nothing new there. He's been estimated to be worth $1.2B since 2018. Around 40% of that is the Senators (although net would also include the debt).

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I'm past the point of caring if he has money or doesn't have money. He needs to get the Diddle out.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
tim1_2 wrote:I'm past the point of caring if he has money or doesn't have money.  He needs to get the Diddle out.

No, that's *your* need. His needs are entirely different.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
What a day it would be if Alfie and Murray both made it into the Hall on the same day. Tough to argue with Iginla not being a slam dunk, but I'd put Alfie ahead of Hossa. Offensive stats aside, Hosss was never the #1 leader on any team (NHL). Alfie did that start to finish.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Well, that blows.

Now they *have to* give us the first overall.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Or maybe this is a sign of things to come Sad

I'm happy with Rossi as a consolation prize if we don't get Laf lr Byfield.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
The Alfie will be snubbed again next year. And probably for many years. The HHOF methodology is very flawed.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
tim1_2 wrote:The Alfie will be snubbed again next year.  And probably for many years.  The HHOF methodology is very flawed.

When Kevin Lowe can make it over Mogilny, that says all you need about the selection committee.

Kevin Lowe has 84 goals in career, Alex Mogilny got 76 goals in one season.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:What a day it would be if Alfie and Murray both made it into the Hall on the same day. Tough to argue with Iginla not being a slam dunk, but I'd put Alfie ahead of Hossa. Offensive stats aside, Hosss was never the #1 leader on any team (NHL). Alfie did that start to finish.

they're gonna wait till next year to put Alfie and the Sedins(first ballot) in at the same time

my guess

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Lagoon wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:The Alfie will be snubbed again next year.  And probably for many years.  The HHOF methodology is very flawed.

When Kevin Lowe can make it over Mogilny, that says all you need about the selection committee.

Kevin Lowe has 84 goals in career, Alex Mogilny got 76 goals in one season.

yeah... it
s flawed big time.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Kevin Lowe shouldn't be in, but I totally expected Alfredsson not to be. Hossa was definitely a lock.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Lowe has 6 Cup rings. But unless the player leads his team in some category (winning a major award, leading in some stats -- either offensive or defensive) I don't think the number of Cup rings is material (I mean, Iginla has zero rings while John Kordic has one).

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
This will be a huge year for Logan Brown, kind of the forgotten guy in Ottawa.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 32 of 33]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum