GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17 ... 26  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 26]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
He lost his leg from blood clots, the rest followed from there. They don't know how the virus causes clots. They don't even know how often clots accompany infection:

It's unclear how many COVID-19 patients develop clots. Studies from China, Europe and the United States suggest rates ranging from 3% to 70% of hospitalized COVID-19 patients;

Clearly, they have no idea.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Also, back to the whole idea of daily testing being "excessive" (it's not), but the false negative/positive rate can be pretty high, so daily testing will help account for the unreliability of a single test.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Where do you get the idea that false positives/negatives are high? We haven't been told which test kits they are using. There are existing ones which have very high confidence, there are others that do not. And tests are being improved upon all the time.

Please post links to support your statements.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
tim1_2 wrote:Also, back to the whole idea of daily testing being "excessive" (it's not), but the false negative/positive rate can be pretty high, so daily testing will help account for the unreliability of a single test.

I was just suggesting the nose swabs were excessive given that they can administer oral tests. Maybe they're more effective and that's why but a swab up your nose everyday would suck. And keep in mind players don't get paid for the playoffs. NHL'ers are being pretty awesome as a whole right now.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:Where do you get the idea that false positives/negatives are high? We haven't been told which test kits they are using. There are existing ones which have very high confidence, there are others that do not. And tests are being improved upon all the time.

Please post links to support your statements.

LOL

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/false-positive-covid-19-test-results-rare-despite-recent-scares-experts-say-1.4932859

https://www.aruplab.com/news/4-21-2020/How-Accurate-Are-COVID-19-Tests

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/06/how-accurate-are-covid-19-tests.html

https://globalnews.ca/news/7045805/coronavirus-test-false-negative-study/

Of course we don't know exactly what tests the NHL is using.  Even if the tests are 99% accurate, that's still not great when they're doing as many tests as they will be. It also depends on how well the nasal cavity is swabbed (sounds pleasant). I have a friend who is a doctor and has worked in COVID testing clinics around Ottawa and said they've seen a lot of incorrect test results (up to 30% in some cases). Anyway, I will place more faith into what the NHL has decided is the best way to go and not Internet Doctor and Chief COVID Researcher, Walter.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Just realized that Doug Wilson is from Ottawa. Didn't know that

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Tim, unless I'm blind, not of those links actually give a concrete number (a percentage). Basically they don't know (and they can't know) she that was my entire point.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
99% would be *fantastic*!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
The last jab (Internet Doctor and Chief COVID Researcher, Walter) was completely uncalled for. You owe me an apology. Seriously!

All I said was that I thought daily testing was overkill. I am allowed to have an opinion, and I should be able to express it without being insulted.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:The last jab (Internet Doctor and Chief COVID Researcher, Walter) was completely uncalled for. You owe me an apology. Seriously!

All I said was that I thought daily testing was overkill. I am allowed to have an opinion, and I should be able to express it without being insulted.

No apology coming. Overkill seems to be safer than underkill in this scenario.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Wasn't expecting an apology. That's not what I said, and I stand 100% behind what I *did* day. You went over the line.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
If you're going to argue about stuff on the internet, you gotta have a thicker skin.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Amen.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Frank Seravalli with the details:

#NHL tentative RTP schedule:
🔔 July 24: Travel to hubs
🔔 July 25: Exhibition games
🔔 July 30: Qualif. round begins
🔔 Aug. 9: First round of playoffs begins
🔔 Aug. 23: Second round begins
🔔 Sept. 6: Conf Finals begin
🔔 Sept. 20: SCF begins
🔔 Oct. 2: Last poss. game of SCF

Edit:
Ultimately, this is all subject to change and all may be pushed back a few days, because it lists July 10 as the start of training camps. But we aren't anticipating them to open until July 13.

Last edited by wprager on Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Also, Devils hire Ruff as HC

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
In other news, the (perceived) thickness of my skin should but be used as an excuse for needlessly insulting someone. My opinion may be different from yours, but that is not an excuse.

I'm ok. I can live with the way I've behaved.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Tornado watch for Toronto. Mother Nature is not happy with the NHL decision?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Ren Lavoie:

If everything is going according to plan,  NHL 20-21 season will start on December first. Training camps in November 17.

NHL UFA market should open on October 9 or 7 days after the end of the Stanley Cup Final.

This one is major in the new CBA: NHL UFA interview period won’t exist anymore.

Minimum salaries in the NHL over the next six seasons: 2020-21 $700,000 2021-22 $750,000 2022-23 $750,000 2023-24 $775,000 2024-25 $775,000 2025-26 $775,000

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 26]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17 ... 26  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum