GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next

Go down  Message [Page 16 of 21]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
PTFlea wrote:The Coyotes press release was...angry

yes, i was surprised because i thought that it would wind up the other way with them firing him.

i hope we'll find out more about the situation.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:Did the Sens reach out to him?

i'm not sure that would be a sens move.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I hope not. Don’t think he’s done a good job.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
He drafted pretty well. Arizona gave up a ton to get Hall. I can only imagine that's where the issues began. My guess is management isn't willing to spend or they're not giving Chayka the flexibility he needs to do his job and he had enough.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
MLB is in a bit of trouble. Sounds like a breakout on the Marlins team with 4 players testing positive. As a result they are delaying their return to Florida and their home opener had been postponed.

Not sure how delaying their return by one day will make a difference, but I suspect they just want to test everyone and do some thorough contact tracing. Short of quaranteeing everyone for 2 weeks the only other possibility I see is testing antibodies and other signs of immunity.

We're, what, 2 gamrs into the season?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I understand why baseball didn't go with the hub/bubble approach. 30 teams and way more games. By comparison the NHL has 24 teams and will be down to 16 after one week, and so on. I assume basketball is similar. Still, the idea of having teams traveling around and maintaining all the protocols required to keep the virus away is very optimistic.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Just read that 8 more players and a couple coaches on the Marlins have tested positive. They were, supposedly, clean before they traveled to Atlanta for exhibition games. 2 players on the Braves tested positive.

So we likely have 2 teams that will have to miss 2 weeks. I don't think I'm overstating the issue by saying the season is in jeopardy.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
No one can post so many times in a few minutes like Walter. MLB isn't going to scrap their season over a team or two having outbreaks. I guess they'll "postpone" those teams' games, and then try to make them up throughout the rest of the season. This was entirely predictable though. Having every team travel so much...just a terrible idea.

Like you say, Walter, they should've done the bubble thing too, and cut the season from 60 games down to 40 or so... Regular season takes 2 months, playoffs maybe another month and have it wrapped all up.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:He drafted pretty well. Arizona gave up a ton to get Hall. I can only imagine that's where the issues began. My guess is management isn't willing to spend or they're not giving Chayka the flexibility he needs to do his job and he had enough.

Chayka is a visionary when it comes to taking on dead cap space if you make it worth his while. That’s his strength.

He’s not the analytical-god people thought he would be. Not even close. He’s been below average overall.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:He drafted pretty well. Arizona gave up a ton to get Hall. I can only imagine that's where the issues began. My guess is management isn't willing to spend or they're not giving Chayka the flexibility he needs to do his job and he had enough.

I don't think they should have traded for Hall, but I don't think they gave up a tonne to be honest.

Either way, I hope Arizona just moves. Nobody cares.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
The NHL got everyone in the bubble and has no positive test results from July 18-25. Fingers crossed.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
tim1_2 wrote:No one can post so many times in a few minutes like Walter.  MLB isn't going to scrap their season over a team or two having outbreaks.  I guess they'll "postpone" those teams' games, and then try to make them up throughout the rest of the season.  This was entirely predictable though.  Having every team travel so much...just a terrible idea.

Like you say, Walter, they should've done the bubble thing too, and cut the season from 60 games down to 40 or so...  Regular season takes 2 months, playoffs maybe another month and have it wrapped all up.  

Regular season is 162, not 60. 40 games if like telling the NHL to play 20 games to determine playoff seeding. Play 20 have per month for however many games they want. That's roughly 2/3 of the 30 teams involved each day, so you would need to play 10 games each day! Two hub cities means 5 games a day in each. How many cities do we know with 3 major league caliber fields (2 would not cut it)?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:No one can post so many times in a few minutes like Walter.  MLB isn't going to scrap their season over a team or two having outbreaks.  I guess they'll "postpone" those teams' games, and then try to make them up throughout the rest of the season.  This was entirely predictable though.  Having every team travel so much...just a terrible idea.

Like you say, Walter, they should've done the bubble thing too, and cut the season from 60 games down to 40 or so...  Regular season takes 2 months, playoffs maybe another month and have it wrapped all up.  

Regular season is 162, not 60. 40 games if like telling the NHL to play 20 games to determine playoff seeding. Play 20 have per month for however many games they want. That's roughly 2/3 of the 30 teams involved each day, so you would need to play 10 games each day! Two hub cities means 5 games a day in each.  How many cities do we know with 3 major league caliber fields (2 would not cut it)?

This regular season is 60 games.  That's obviously what I'm referring to.

They've also expanded playoffs to 16 teams. It's a shame if COVID derails baseball...it would've been the first interesting regular season in.....forever.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Oh, I see. I didn't know the parameters of their reduced season. That said, if they already reduced it nearly 3x from 162 to 60, another 50% reduction to 40 games is not likely something they would have considered. Right now there is almost no new programming (either scripted or reality) coming out because of Covid and you'd better believe the broadcasters would have pushed for as many games as they could.

It's not derailed yet, but there was an emergency meeting called today by the league. Haven't seen any updates from it.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I watched the Jays game yesterday.  It's actually not bad watching baseball with empty stadiums since they're normally half full anyway.  The piped in crowd noise was a bit too loud on the broadcast, but it did make it feel more normal.  

Anyway, maybe the Jays have a chance of making the playoffs with the reduced schedule, increased playoffs, and half the league getting COVID.

It's also amusing that the season is less than a week old and two games have been canned, and entire teams are having outbreaks. Oye.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Hey. There's hockey today.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I reluctantly signed up for a Sportsnet Now+ monthly subscription. It gives me all the Sportsnet channels on Android/Apple/Android TV/PC/etc with no blackouts. So I'll get all the NHL and Blue Jays games. About $30 per month.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:I reluctantly signed up for a Sportsnet Now+ monthly subscription.  It gives me all the Sportsnet channels on Android/Apple/Android TV/PC/etc with no blackouts.  So I'll get all the NHL and Blue Jays games.  About $30 per month.

that's almost tempting.

i wonder if center ice ever evolves past their blackout strategy? i mean, i have a VPN but they have to one day realize that everyone will eventually cut the cord.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 16 of 21]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum