GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19

Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 17 of 18]

241Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:06 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:I never remotely suggested Byfield at #1. Lafrenier is in a different tier. Byfield and Stutzle are closer enough that a secondary characteristic can become the difference maker.  When the Senators were about to get a downtown arena they printed a Francophone GM, hired a Francophone coach and started drafting primarily out if the Q. That was not a series of coincidences.

lol.  Yes it was.  The GM and coach were the cheapest, most reasonable options.  And they weren't going to be playing in a downtown arena until the mid 2020s at the earliest.  

So what? It takes time to build a fan base or, rather, to convert a fan base to follow a different team. I still remember them a new Francophone reporter was hired to cover the Sens for the Quebec side. That was when earlier.

They also never "drafted primarily out of the Q". They drafted 3 Q guys in the Chabot year, but that was it.

242Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:38 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:I never remotely suggested Byfield at #1. Lafrenier is in a different tier. Byfield and Stutzle are closer enough that a secondary characteristic can become the difference maker.  When the Senators were about to get a downtown arena they printed a Francophone GM, hired a Francophone coach and started drafting primarily out if the Q. That was not a series of coincidences.

I didn't say you suggested it. I way just saying if that plays a factor then Byfield would go #1 if an American team gets the pick. People in LA don't really care about hockey so I don't think a black player would do anything different than a German white guy. Kopitar is a fan favourite for example. I am not saying it won't have any effect, though. It would help a bit for marketing.

It's not enough of a differentiator to jump into a higher tier which is why this would not propel him to 1st overall. But it certainly could be enough too tip the scales between two closely-ranked prospects.

243Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:45 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
3 players from the Q in 2015 which matches the total for the 3 previous drafts.

244Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:11 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:3 players from the Q in 2015 which matches the total for the 3 previous drafts.

Ok, just checking, so this point of yours is also invalid. They've never drafted heavily from the Q.

245Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:53 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
2015 could have also been an anomaly

246Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:26 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
two of the players they took from the Q since 2015 aren't even French lol

247Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:26 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Ev wrote:three of the players they took from the Q since 2015 aren't even French lol

Chlapik was one of the picks in 2015. Chabot and Gagne the other. Gagne was since traded.

248Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:28 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Ev wrote:three of the players they took from the Q since 2015 aren't even French lol

Chlapik was one of the picks in 2015. Chabot and Gagne the other. Gagne was since traded.

I was referring to Batherson and Chlapik. I thought Mandolese too but I guess he's French.

249Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:38 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
i'm wondering if the Q has become a better league compared to what it was say 5 years ago.

250Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:04 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:2015 could have also been an anomaly

It *was* an anomaly, that was my whole point. And I suggested the reason for the anomaly was the org trying to appeal to the Francophone community across the river.

Maybe I was wrong, but the GM and coach hires also confirm the theory. Don't price it, but confirm it.

251Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:23 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
lol. I like that you confirmed it because you believe it. Typical.

252Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:30 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Confirmation is not proof. If you have a particular theory then specific occurrences can confirm it refute it. Neither one is proof.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/locked-on-red-wings-daily-podcast-on-the-detroit-red-wings/id1494789051?i=1000486945129

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Lagoon wrote:https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/locked-on-red-wings-daily-podcast-on-the-detroit-red-wings/id1494789051?i=1000486945129

coles notes

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
Rossi is a beast. End notes.

I just agreed with a lot of these opinions.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Rossi or Raymond at #5 . My opinion hasn't waivered.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Rossi or Raymond at #5 . My opinion hasn't waivered.

I’m so close to yours. Mine is Raymond at 3 and Rossi at 5.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Lagoon wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Rossi or Raymond at #5 . My opinion hasn't waivered.

I’m so close to yours. Mine is Raymond at 3 and Rossi at 5.

You've made your opinion loud and clear lol. Hard to see them pass on Stutzle if he's there at 3. It may not be the most popular move, but we did see it happen two years ago with Zadina so you never know

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum